Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

fuel pump replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 AM
grimebo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump replacement help

hey i have a 97 dodge 2500 van. 3.9L
for a while it was really rough starting then it would start then stall right away so i determined it was the fuel pump. i ordered one off the internet but after some more research have read somethings about how you cant just replace the fuel pump, you have to replace the pump and sending unit since it is all one peice? just wondering if this was true or is there a way that i could just replace the pump alone since thats what ive already gotten.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The pump and sender are only sold as a complete assembly and I've never heard of individual parts being replaced.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 AM
grimebo

i got a pump on its own from ebay. so they definatley sell the pumps alone, but was wondering if just the pump could be replaced or if you have to replace the pump and sender together.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:48 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pre magnum era fuel pumps could be removed from the assembly and replaced. I did so on mine, however I have not heard of this being possible on any magnum era Vehicle and have heard they can only be replaced as an assembly.

If you go ahead and drop the tank, consider the very real possibility your vehicle will be out of commission until you can get the proper part.

If you do succeed in replacing only the pump in the assembly, then you should share this knowledge with those owning magnum era Vans, cause you would be the first I've read about on these forums to do so.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:26 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Are you sure the fuel pump repair kit is for a ram van and not a ram pickup truck?

Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Bandit2
Amateur

Did You by chance buy one of the " fuel pump module repair kits " for a Walbro Pump
from Global-Automotive ? Can You post the E-Bay # ?
They sell from $ 25.95 to $ 39.95 ? I only saw Pick Up pumps listed when You run the O/E Pump Numbers that they fit .
When You get it out , if You can't Mickey Mouse it , just call Rock Auto , for a Delphi FG0233 @ $ 216.79 , thats what I have been doing for My Delphi pumps , and I Can buy AC/Delco Wholesale local to me . Bob
Ps.
The last Carter I installed only lasted 89 days .

Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 AM
grimebo

so im pretty sure this is the one i got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

this is one im looking at getting if mine wont work which i dont think it will:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-...Q5fAccessories

Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen those on ebay. I did not buy one when it was time to change mine. Yes if you really want to take the time to take the module apart you could change out just the pump motor. But IMHO it is more hassle and more likely that something else will break while trying to change the motor. Plus you don't know how good the filter/pressure regulator is on your current one. I do not recommend it.

On the other list you have from ebay the main draw back if is if that pump fails you do not have a warranty to replace it. It may work for a long time or it may not and you have to break down and buy a new pump module at that point.

My recommendation is to buy a new pump and have the warranty in case you have to replace it in that time frame. Many here have had great success with the OEM Dodge pumps from the dealers and major problems with aftermarket pumps. I currently am using (mine is about 2 months old) and have installed two other Airtex pumps from O'Reilly's and have not had a problem with any of the three. The other two are on vans that are driven between 30 and 50K miles a year and the pumps are between 2 and 2 1/2 years old.

Last edited by Mobile Auto Repair; 04-04-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Bandit2
Amateur

Buying a Used Fuel Pump from E-Bay ??

The first and 3rd Dodge's I changed out the pumps on , I took out Delphi's , and with a little snooping on forums and asking friends with garages , they had the opinion that they were the OE Supplier, pretty hard when there name was stamped on them
Bob
Ps.
I am really surprised someone else hasn't come along and added there usual Yup , I agree with them , thats what i would do , sounds good etc. to there all ready impressive post count .

Old 04-05-2010, 12:20 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Bandit2
I am really surprised someone else hasn't come along and added there(SIC) usual Yup(SIC), I agree with them, thats(SIC) what i(SIC) would do, sounds good etc. to there(SIC) all ready(SIC) impressive post count.
I really hate it when the circus is in town and the clowns come out.

Quick Reply: fuel pump replacement help