Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ASD Relay Internals

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, I do not know which relay is which on your model year. I have read your post, and It sounds like your relays clicking in time with your flashing CEL could not be caused by the ASD relay.

You can try temporarily Bypassing the ASD relay for diagnostic purposes.

Remove the connector from the relay. There will be two thin wires, and two fatter wires. Get a ~4 inch length of 10 or 12 awg wire, strip off 3/8 inch from both ends, and bridge the connections of the 2 fatter wires. The fuel pump should be running continuously now.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:11 PM
christeeandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '99 ram van and the other day went to start it, turned the key and NOTHING! Not even a sound...could it be this ASD relay you are talking about? The battery was bought new Dec of last year. Just to be safe I put it on a charger, anyway, and still nothing. Any suggestions????

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM
wjbabcock
Default Other symptoms

Will this relay (which I think spec'd out okay using tests from my Haynes manual) show a "No Bus" on the odometer?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 AM
wjbabcock

The ASD will keep your vehicle from starting if its bad but you'll still get crank and/or turnover.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:15 PM
captain_wow

hi, ive got the exact problem as described, only just bought the van - a 1993 5.2 wagon. The previous owner had a wire hooked directly from the battery to the coil on a switch so i can start and run the van but it would be nice to solve the issue. My question is where is the asd relay? i have two next to each other below and to the right of the master cylinder. then one up high on the left near the ac/heater box..and there appears to be another in the center under the hood which is missing.. just the wire harness/connector.. i wonder if this is where it should be! anyone out there know? btw i love the van! its my first dodge and over here in th UK it kicks ***! (all my friends have vw's.)

Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
captain_wow

ok, so i had a good look at the electrics and my chilton manual at this.. it seems the relay is great condition inside and i can it it click on and off when the ignition is turned on but when cranking the power out only gos up by 0.5 v rather than the full 12. i wonder if this is still the relays fault? if not i understand a broken crankshaft position sensor can cause it to shut down.. is therea way to test this without an odbII reader?

Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 AM
captain_wow

hi all, ive checked all wiring for shorts, new crank position and cam position sensors. it seems after a second or so when i turn the ignition on the computer is sending the relay power which shuts off the feed out of the relay. i guess this it what it is supposed to do when it detects a fault. but i cant see what is at fault after replacing the cam and crank sensors. the only thing i havent done is clear the codes as i dont have a obd gadget. would resetting the codes/computer make a difference after replacing sensors?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

a little late here but of the relays that are side by side on the firewall at 4 o'clock of the brake booster; the one on the LEFT is the ASD relay and the one on the right is the fuel pump relay according to my '92 B250 service manual--'89 B250 is the same

Old 08-06-2012, 10:40 AM
k2nepal
Amateur

Yesterday (08/03/2012) was very hot in Vegas, My 1996 dodge full size van 3.9 will not start; no crank, nothing, the battery is a red optima, let the van on the driveway, wait for an hour or so, when back, did start, this happened about 4 to 5 years ago, always during the summer months, could be the ASD, advice please.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

could be ECM also

Quick Reply: ASD Relay Internals