Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ASD Relay Internals

Old 03-05-2016, 01:58 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought STICKY's never went out of date... years old or not...
which is why someone made it a STICKY ?????

Old 03-06-2016, 08:33 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdata
I thought STICKY's never went out of date... years old or not...
You are correct.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:53 PM
personrlr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Dodge 2002 Ram Van with 5.2 L 318 engine and years a goo I have the same problem, engine crank crank but do not start, in the distributor is a camshaft sensor, replace this one make the fuel pump and ASD relay work normal.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:08 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by personrlr
I have a Dodge 2002 Ram Van with 5.2 L 318 engine and years a goo I have the same problem, engine crank crank but do not start, in the distributor is a camshaft sensor, replace this one make the fuel pump and ASD relay work normal.
not if the ecm is bad

Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 PM
increa

Yea! ASD relay fun. I ended up cutting mine open, too, to see how it works. Lots more debugging details at:

http://www.increa.com/reverse/dodge-...09_-_ASD_Relay

Old 06-07-2020, 04:03 PM
TangoKilo

Hi there!
I bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Van 5.2L as a new project. The Van had repeatedly trouble with the PCM (no bus) and this very PCM is now dead.
I was handed out a second one for replacement, put it into the car, cranked...
no power to ignition coil, also no power to the fuel injectors.

Both of them are connected to the ASR, but the ASR is not driven active low by the PCM. ASR itself is powered (by ign. switch).

I read some information and tried to figure out if
- camshaft sensor signal was bad
- crankshaft sensor signal was bad.
I did this with an oscilloscope. Both signals where showing clean 5V square signals. So this was probably not the reason.
The PCM did NOT drive (pull) the ASR - no power to IGN coil and fuel injectors.

My question at this point is:
- are those two signals (crank and cam) in good conditions a sufficient condition to make the PCM drive the ASR to active?
- if the PCM has no VIN programmed, could that also be a problem?

I hope this is not TOO off-topic and I promise I will write a detailed pictured step-by-step instruction, how to measure those sensors for any faulty signal.
Thank you in advance and regards from Germany 🇩🇪

Old 06-07-2020, 04:07 PM
TangoKilo

Hi there!
I bought a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Van 5.2L as a new project. The Van had repeatedly trouble with the PCM (no bus) and this very PCM is now dead.
I was handed out a second one for replacement, put it into the car, cranked...
no power to ignition coil, also no power to the fuel injectors.

Both of them are connected to the ASR, but the ASR is not driven active low by the PCM. ASR itself is powered (by ign. switch).

I read some information and tried to figure out if
- camshaft sensor signal was bad
- crankshaft sensor signal was bad.
I did this with an oscilloscope. Both signals where showing clean 5V square signals. So this was probably not the reason.
The PCM did NOT drive (pull) the ASR - no power to IGN coil and fuel injectors.

My question at this point is:
- are those two signals (crank and cam) in good conditions a sufficient condition to make the PCM drive the ASR to active?
- if the PCM has no VIN programmed, could that also be a problem?

I hope this is not TOO off-topic and I promise I will write a detailed pictured step-by-step instruction, how to measure those sensors for any faulty signal.
Thank you in advance and regards from Germany 🇩🇪

Old 08-31-2020, 11:32 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I certainly wish you great success... I hated to do it but the junk man got mine years ago after two PCM's and countless hours troubleshooting.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:18 AM
increa

TangoKilo,

Crank and Cam signals prevent the engine from continuing to run. But I think even if they're bad, you'll get ignition and then the engine will quickly stop. Plus, you checked them with an oscilloscope. So I think you get NO ignition, so maybe it is not the sensors.

When you checked with an oscilloscope, did you tap into the signal wires, or did you unplug the sensor and probe just the sensor? If you have a weak sensor, maybe it would show okay on the oscilloscope but when driving a load in the real circuit, it would be too weak. Probably not, but an idea.

Also for a test, I have just manually removed the ASR relay and shorted the ASR output contact-side wires and that allowed my van to start. Why do you think your ASR relay is working? Maybe it is broken like mine was. Is the computer pulling the ASR coil side to ground? That should put current through the input coil and close the contacts. But maybe the relay itself if broken and is not closing contacts even if the computer is grounding the coil properly. Monitor the voltage on both sides of the relay coil and you should be able to tell if the computer is pulling it's side to low voltage.

I swapped computers between engine types and did no VIN programming. Both computers worked. Did you see my long writeup at http://www.increa.com/reverse/dodge-van-repair/ ?

Old 09-04-2020, 06:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

The link is for a 1989 not 2000. I believe you need to have it programed first. The asd relay should come on when ignition on/cranking. If it's not and the check engine light does not come on(ignition on) then the pcm is not working.

are those two signals (crank and cam) in good conditions a sufficient condition to make the PCM drive the ASR to active?
No, pcm with kick on the asd relay regardless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ASD Relay Internals