Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1992 B250 Van Water Pump Fitting for Heater Hose

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM
William Powell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 B250 Van Water Pump Fitting for Heater Hose

My 1992 B250 van needs a new water pump. I've gotten all the parts and noticed something surprising. On the water pump, right next to the fitting for the bypass hose is a hole of about ½ inch diameter. No threads. Just a hole. In the box with the new water pump is also a small O—ring, about ½ inch diameter. My thought is what the heck is this?

I look at my van and I see one of the heater hoses attached to a metal fitting located where the unexpected hole in the new water pump is.

When I install the new water pump, how do I get that fitting off of the old water pump and into the new water pump? Is it simply pressed, or glued in? Should I but a new one or try to get the old one out of the old water pump? How would I get the old one out?

Sorry for rambling on but I'm stumped by how to handle this dilemma.

Thanks in advance,
William

Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It slips in and is held by a bolt that bolts into the AC/Alternator bracket.

Personally I have changed three of these water pumps and after the first I ALWAYS buy a new tube. These tubes are made of thin steel and can bend easily. They are less than $20.00 and well worth it.

What other parts have you bought?

When I change one of these out I alway change out the following:
Thermostat, and the housing if needed for two of them had wear on the wield seam.
By-Pass hose
Upper radiator hose
Heater hose beside thermostat

It is easier to do all of these now then wish you had later.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM
William Powell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go get a new heater hose pipe to install. Like you, I think that would be the safest approach. Trying to salvage the old one looks pretty dicey to me.

I got all that stuff you mentioned. I knew when I got that far into that engine I wanted to replace anything else nearby.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1992 B250 Van Water Pump Fitting for Heater Hose