Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Additives to unclog gunk in Oil Pump intake or...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 PM
ericralph
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additives to unclog gunk in Oil Pump intake or...?

Drop the oils pan???

So I have another thread going here for a separate issue (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...waterpump.html) and my search for a remedy has side tracked into yet another problem. I've already read a ton about this but am not satisfied. Would like to hear from some who know my van... (2000 ram van 1500, 3.9l, v6)

I'm pretty sure the final answer will be to drop oil pan and replace the intake tube and check oil pump etc...

This is something i REALLY (x1000) need to avoid at this time for many many reasons... Hoping there is an additive that won't eff up the motor that will break the gunk up quickly and at least buy me 4000k miles (ill be overhauling the engine this summer).... but in the end I'm not going to ignore the most prudent answer.

here's the story...
After changing the valve cover gaskets two days ago my oil pressure goes down to zero and the "check gauges" dash light comes on. This goes from normal to zero a few times, back and forth, in the first 5 mins of driving. by the time the engine is at operating temp it typically stays at zero. I parked it once and let it run for a few minutes in this condition and heard a very slight knocking begin swelling after waiting and shut it off and to let it cool. Confirming the oil is actually NOT getting up-cycled back to the engine.

When the van is cool the guage is much more active. It can move by stepping on the gas, hitting a bump, taking a turn... or not at all.. When running at normal temp the gauge won't move, stays at zero, I haven't been able to get it too anyways. it's then that I have to cool it down and restart for the oil to get cycling again as it's fine when cold.

Here's what I have done:
Changed the oil sender sensor (new and old behave the same)
Changed the oil (10w-30 full synth)
After running it for a day I drained this new oil, filtered it and put it back in the engine (plus new oil to top it off)
Just ran it. Same prob....
(i have done a TON of other unrelated things (I think unrelated); many mentioned in the other thread...

Things to know.
The underneath of the removed valve covers were pretty gunky. I can add a pic if needed.
I believe the plenum gasket will need replacing someday. I removed the throttle body and had a look. there's some oil grim in there. Not a ton but some.
I think the cat-con needs replacing. This was next on my list until this new trial...
I switched from normal oil to full Synth in September. added one bottle of Lucas a month or so later for the slight leaking.
I never have to add oil or anti freeze or anything.

If dropping the oil pan is the way to go I'll start another thread about it because some say the the tranny has to be detached and engine has to be pushed up some say not and I haven't been able to find words from anyone with my EXACT van... (2000 ram van 1500, 3.9l, v6) - mostly truck people commenting... may be different. I don't know. If I have to move the engine i may be in some trouble and will need to do some serious planning and favor asking and quickly- this is why I am asking about additives first....

Old 02-10-2015, 09:05 AM
funair02
All Star

with the amount of sludge you are describing - no additive will get you clean.

if your belly pan gasket has been leaking for awhile this is what the underside probably looks like

sorry to say bro you really need to tear the top and the bottom of the engine off, clean and replace all the gaskets...

also the pan gasket causes a very large vacuum leak with eventually kills your cat. con...any cheapie universal cat will work. I bought one off of ebay for less than 100 bucks and had it welded on for 50 at my local shop...

good luck

Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 PM
ericralph
Rookie

well here's a couple pics / the one inside the throttle body doesn't look as bad as the one in your picture. hope its not! - I need to have this van get me to the northeast from texas this june. I plan on replacing the plenum gasket and going over the engine then, maybe doing an overhaul if needed. ill have a shop to spread out in.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:29 PM
ericralph
Rookie

also an update- I started digging into the oil pan and trying to get it off so I can replace the fuel-pump and intake. The engine has to be pushed up despite some of what i have read. I'm finding it impossible to loosen the passenger side through bolt on the motor mount... have tried every combination of socket, wrench, breaker bar, sweet talking and extension pipe I have and all I've done is made the nut slightly more rounder...

I hope I can find a couple extra jacks tomorrow for getting the engine higher... this sucks huge.

Quick Reply: Additives to unclog gunk in Oil Pump intake or...?