Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

P0303/Speedometer/ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
RealDealSER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0303/Speedometer/ABS light

1st the code issue. maybe you guys can help me.. this van belongs to my brother in-law. its a 2000 dodge 1500 3.9 v6 RWD. Initally he was receiving a mis-fire in #5 and 6 cyl's. We replaced the plugs and did another scan without clearing the codes, low and behold # 5 and 6 were fine again. now #3 is mis-firing. we are replacing the ignition coil when we it gets delivered and will update on how that turns out.

my question about this is why wasn't #3 showing up before we did the plugs ?

On to the speedometer.. it doesn't actually start to register untill he hits about 25mph. then it starts to rise from zero. we think it is the speed sensor.

He also has an ABS light and Brake light on. We don't know How-To properly bleed the entire system from the brake booster/how to recenter the brake valve and also where the actual Bleed Points are located in the system "besides the obvious" at the calipers. This is a picture of the brake res that he has. We did bleed the calipers in this order rear pass/rear driver/front pass/front driver. now the brakes don't thump like crazy anymore when braking and it takes alot less effort to actually stop. the lights are still on though.

I used the search option and found too many possibilities. There is simply no explanation for the "Random" mis-fire's. thnx.

Last edited by RealDealSER; 11-17-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you did the proper method for bleeding the brakes. Do the rears first and then the front.

As for the mis-fires check to see if the plenum gasket is the cause.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 PM
RealDealSER
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thnx for the input. is there a cheap but descent vacuum leak tester i can get ?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most auto parts stores carry them for 20 to 30. Now from what I have found about the plenum gasket if you pull the top of your air cleaner and open the throttle plates and see oil gloss or puddle at the bottom of the intake manifold consider the plenum gasket blown and needing replacement.

Some of the common issues with a blown plenum gasket:
Infamous Magnum Engine Ping even when using 93 octane fuel
Oil consumption
Oil in the intake floor when looking through the throttle plates of the throttle body
Misfire codes

Last edited by Mobile Auto Repair; 11-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: P0303/Speedometer/ABS light