Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

throttle surging while in drive, jumps forward!! (94 2500)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 AM
bronevaya
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle surging while in drive, jumps forward!! (94 2500)

I recently developed a problem where the van will rev up while in drive. I will have my foot on the brake the the van will rev and jump forward. It feels like someone ran into the back of me. the van jumps forward hard enough to move it even with my foot on the brakes!! Sometimes while driving if I let off the gas the van will rev and when I try to go forward I just rev the van up until it catches again. Is this a transmission problem?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bronevaya
Is this a transmission problem?
A tranny problem won't make the engine surge, so I'm inclined to say no. I would take a look at the crank sensor or the idle speed motor as the likely culprits.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:43 PM
GeoDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should fix this quickly because it will really wear out your brakes fast and you may also experience loud shifting and transmission noises after a while because shifting at high revolutions takes a toll on the tranny. you are now fighting the engine to stop.

I have similiar problem on my 1991 dodge ram van with the 318 engine. From what i have read it is a common condition on these dodge emissions controlled fuel injected vehicles.

I have researched similar problem and have heard that likely causes in lowest cost of fixing order are (as well as order of highest probability of it fixing it)

clogged air intake/ dirty air filter (changes fuel air mixture and computer tries to compensate which makes engine race easy to check - take it out! is it dirty? does it run better with it out?)

vacuum leaks around intake area (alters fuel mixture which causes idle speed increases) (someone said if you spray soapy water lightly on the engine while it is running it may seal the vacuum leaks slightly and make engine work properly which gives a good indication this is a problem. other way to check is to wiggle small air vacuum type hoses and hose connections while engine is idling but you may loosen more than you fix. DONT put new cracks in old hoses by wiggling them too much!)

bad radiator thermostat (keeps engine temp too cold which makes the emission control system always keep idle speed high to "warm up " the engine so it burns cleaner) (is your engine running cool and never warms up? it's likely the themrostat is bad and staying open making engine stay cool and making emission computer kepp idle speed high to "warm up the engine that never warms up" Remember the goal of all emissions equipment is NOT to make engien run correctly but to avoid spewing pollution out the tail pipe. all emissions computers are designed to do EVERYTHING possible to keep emissions clean even if that means terrible gas mileage and engine performance. so if your sensors or hoses aren't solid you WILL be computer controlled for poor mileage and performance.)

idle speed controller (apparently near the fuel injectors and tricky to adjust)
topic here to adjust it yourself https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

bad oxgen sensor (which many say can be cleaned but you may also lose it if you do so dont try unless you are sure that is it.) hard to get to under car. hard to un screw as many get stuck in position over time.

computer. - everyone always says the computer but it is the LAST thing you should check because if the all the hoses are full of vacuum leaks and the sensors are bad or the engine isn't getting warm the computer is doing what it is supposed to with the bad info it has.

DON'T MESS WITH THE COMPUTER UNLESS YOU HAVE TO!!!

remember old cars often have LOTS of simultaneous things.
it's likely you have vacuum leaks AND dirty air filiter AND a bad thermostat AND some other things.
Fix the ones you need to solve the problem and don't try to return your vehicle to new condition unless that is your goal. these things are tanks and you dont need to fix
everything to make it run well enough.

so don't.

My racing engine occures after it runs for a minute.
the engine stays cold (think the thermostat is bad so bought another for $7.)

First i will remove air filter and check for vacuum leaks but since I know it runs cool and never warms up I am sure I will be changing the thermostat too.

Last edited by GeoDodge; 11-19-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: throttle surging while in drive, jumps forward!! (94 2500)