Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Random Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Neutralvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Stalling

I have a 1993 dodge ram B350 with a 360 and an automatic. The problems i am having with it is It stalls out mostly on the highway at speeds over 55mph but can also stall at speeds as slow as 5mph, its totally random. when it stalls its like it looses electrical power, no hesitation, no sputter, just dies. I loose my speedo it drops to 0 but i seem to have the rest of my dash and the check engine light does not come on, I do one of 2 things after it dies, pull over and put it in park or at highway speeds put it in neutral turn off the ignition and wait no more then 10 seconds and it starts right back up, it starts both ways. it can stall in 2 feet or 150miles I have done a code test and got a 1 2 1 4 1 7 5 5 so that is a 12 14 17 55 (i think) those are (12) memory to controller has been cleared within 50-100 engine starts. (14) map voltage too high or too low. (17) low engine temperature, possible thermostat fault. 55 end of message. those codes don't really seem like problems that would cause this van to die to me but i could be wrong. Another problem i seem to be having is the fuel gauge drops to empty after 3/4 a tank, i pulled the tank to see if the fuel pump was bad also did a fuel pressure test and it was a solid 42psi, i benched tested the sending unit and it seemed to work out of the van, not sure if these are related as the fuel gauge problem started a year ago and the stalling started about 2 weeks ago but wanted to throw that in there as well. any help or advice would be most helpful.

Last edited by Neutralvan; 03-02-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Replace the ASD/Fuel pump relay assembly.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Neutralvan

I thought of this also, but I am getting the same fuel pressure I even had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and got no loss in pressure and yes even after relieving the pressure. it also starts right back up no long cranks.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm suggesting the ASD relay is the problem, not the fuel pump one. However, for your year I believe the two relays are built into one assembly. So you can't change just one, you have to change the two relay assembly as a whole.

It's on the firewall and looks like this...

Last edited by alloro; 03-02-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Neutralvan

Well I have a new relay and no fix...

Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 AM
Neutralvan

I think i need to do a bit of wire wiggling, all my grounds seem to be fine, i may have a short. thanks for the help.
i was told my CMP or my CKP might be bad going bad or the computer might be the problem today at work. Not sure I want to just change out things that are not the problem, although new parts are always nice.

Last edited by Neutralvan; 03-03-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Neutralvan

Ok today wiggled bunch of wires and tapped on sensors as told by friend, would not die. checked to see if the CEL would stay on 2 seconds after key was turned on it did. so the van runs but stalls still at this point. sense i was working on it I figured i would do some preventive maintance. took out the TPS and saw a piece of scotch tape folded up in the back of the hole by the back opening where the TPS seats. never took the TPS out before but the tape was like an inch long and folded up so i assume it didn't belong there. would that tape in there cause some sort of stall? has not stalled yet but like I stated in my first post, it can happen in 2 feet or 150 miles.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Neutralvan
Well I have a new relay and no fix...
What happened...it wouldn't start or it stalled while driving?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Neutralvan

Stall while driving after the ASD relay install, its running fine now after finding the tape i talked about in my last post for the time, but like I stated, it can happen in 2 feet or 150 miles. what are your thoughts on the tape jammed in there? not how it got there but on the stalling because of it.

Last edited by Neutralvan; 03-03-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Neutralvan

Well fuel gauge started working now, there was a vacuum line disconnected behind the radio. and still has not died. could the combo of the disconnected vac line and the tape found in the TPS cause this thing to die all along?

Quick Reply: Random Stalling