Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

leaking coolant behind new water pump

Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
busmom926
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking coolant behind new water pump

I am new here, and Im looking for answers.. Replaced old water pump but I noticed behind water pump seems to be a leak from another gasket?? Not the water pump gasket. I am still losing coolant and temp gauge still shows overheating. Any explaination will help... and yes I am a woman BUT I am not totally mechanically stupid. Thanks

Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you installed the stupid little hose behind the pump correctly?

There is a tiny little hose behind the water pump that is a pain in the butt to install and if you don't insert it all the way in it will leak!

Check on that, that's what's coming to mind right now!!

Good luck!!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing cover gasket could be leaking as well where the coolant passages go through it.

If you need to replace this gasket, replace the timing chain too

A couple bolts holding the water pump and timing chain cover on in that area might penetrate the water jacket too.

The bypass hose is a likely leaky culprit
Also the T stat housing and upper radiator hose can leak and drip down making it appear as if the cover is leaking.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, I just went through that headache changing out the water-pump, the T-stat, all the hoses, gaskets, radiator and the dumb fan-clutch.

As for that little hose atop of the water pump, yes, it's a bear to fight with to get it on right.

As for things leaking, I think the majority of time was trying to clean off the old gaskets from the engine parts to prevent leaks from happening. This is key to a good cooling system rebuild. I have a thread here that shows how nasty those old gaskets were and the scrapping (but carefully) to remove the cruddy old stuff.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...pump-dies.html

I feel your pain of having that leak back there. It takes time to tear things apart to get to it all. That's the reason why it took me, a fairly decent garage mechanic 10 hours to do the job for everything. Why go back to re-fix something a second time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: leaking coolant behind new water pump