Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

oil pan removal on '99 ram 2500 van

Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 PM
joeljenkins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan removal on '99 ram 2500 van

I'm trying to get the oil pan off this vehicle: how high should i have to lift it? Also, the reason I'm pulling the pan is to check and see if there's anything blocking the oil pickup tube screen. My pastor took the van to get the oil changed, and after the oil was changed, he had driven about a mile or so when the oil pressure dropped to the point that the valves were tapping. I was told to pull the pan and check for teeth from the cam timing gear: if I get the pan off and there are no teeth in the pan, where should I look next? Possible oil pump replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for responding quickly (whoever) to this, my first post on this forum.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a shame to hear another story of "I took my vehicle to have the oil changed, and now I have an oil system issue"

Before removing the pan, double check the oil level, and remove the oil filter and see if it has collapsed internally. These iffy lube places but the cheapest junk filters imaginable, and they are known for stripping the oil pan by overtightening the plug. If you find the filter has collapsed internally, documentation of it's removal might be of benefit for seeking recompense.

I believe to remove the oil pan you need to unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine up a few inches. The Oil pick up tube could be clogged. Might as well change the pump if you take the pan off.

Good luck, let us know what you find

Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years back, I had a dealer who changed the oil when within warranty. Well, the vehicle was coming off of warranty, but they did a free change anyways. When I drove home 5 miles, the engine was starting to make all kinds of noise. Found out, the dummy oil change person forgot to put the oil drain plug back in. Since then, I've never returned to that dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil pan removal on '99 ram 2500 van