Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

MPG improvements

Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 AM
DaDodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't do it myself, cause I was pressed for time. But from what I hear, it is pretty straight forward. One does need a fairly accurate torque wrench though.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 PM
gmutchler

Thanks all good until i got to the TB mods and none of the links are working.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM
daguvena88
Professional

https://www.thefastman.com/throttle_bodies.php

Just a bored throttle body for performance gains. MPG gains negligible or maybe a loss.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:45 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daguvena88
https://www.thefastman.com/throttle_bodies.php

Just a bored throttle body for performance gains. MPG gains negligible or maybe a loss.
If you have read this thread, we had touched on this. The bored would help with some Hp, but may not hep MPG.

We have learned that grinding off the front circular raised walls on the TB works well. The rear part of the circles leave ALONE since the IAC needs this. Adding a Fram AirHog filter then gives the further MPG improvements. Not sure about a K&N because there isn't a size. Rockauto has the AirHog.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm bumping this thread up because I think its accurate and of interest to most van owners.

If you are getting 12mpg or worse, and if nothing else in this thread catches your attention, at least read and consider the brake and tire info. Based on my experience just getting your alignment right, fixing your brakes so they dont drag and using decent tires inflated correctly can be worth 2 - 4 mpg. For people getting 10mpg, even a 2mpg improvement could save 25+ gallons a month.

I average 16.8mpg: I get 15.2 city, 18.9 hwy (very steep hills) in my fully loaded 5.2L 5400lb conversion van. And I don't like load range E tires since I don't have a cargo van and I don't want that kind of ride. I'm using Michelin LTX MS2s at 50psi. 35k miles on them now, and they still look like they'll be good for another 35k.

Last edited by blackvan; 01-08-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPG improvements