Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fault Code "No Bus"

Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 AM
jmaki7121
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault Code "No Bus"

I have a 2000 Dodge 1500 Ram Van with 5.2. I have recently changed plugs, distributer cap and rotor. Van started to cut out at idle and finally threw a fault code for the AIC which I replaced. Van ran like crap and was throwing all kinds of fault codes. Took to Firestone and they said it is the pcm. But with some research I found that some sensors can do this so i start checking sensors. Upon looking around I find that a wire coming out of the pcm is sitting on a hose clamp and notice that it has worn through the insulation and bare wire is making contact with hose clamp. So I move and wrap with electrical tape and figure problem solved. Nope!Ran great for a day but then it was hot out and humid, it started backfiring and not able to keep running. Then all of a sudden the odometer starts flashing and then No Bus. I have checked the Crank Sensor, the Camshaft sensor, MAP sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, and they all have 5v on the reference wire. All the sensors appear to be functioning as they should. But one thing that I did notice is that when I have the sensors unplugged and check the signal wire I also get 5v on the above sensors. So what that is telling me is that I am getting power on the signal wire when its not connected to the sensor. So I am asking is this right? Or is this telling me that indeed the pcm is shot and shorted out thus the 5v on the signal wires. Can anyone confirm that?

Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The No Bus message indicates a loss of communication between the PCM and the digital odometer. In 9 out of 10 case, it's a bad PCM.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM
jmaki7121

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Chazwel
Professional

Rockauto.com has your pcm. Mine should be arriving Tuesday. As I stated before, I believe Dodge has an engineering flaw with the pcm for these generation ram vams. I have never had a pcm go out on me in any of my other cars. I believe the flaw is the charging system goes thru the pcm, from what I have read. Please correct me if I am wrong. Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM
jmaki7121

Thanks, I may be contacting them as I hear this is a common problem, so common that no salvage yard has these pcm's anywhere. Is there to your knowledge a way to test these out? If there is such a flaw then Dodge should have a way of compensating for this. I too have never had a computer go out on me ever. I just can't believe how common a problem this is and when I look under the hood it states that this pcm has been reprogrammed before.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM
jmaki7121

Another quick question, do you think that having an after market stereo installed would have anything to do with this issue. I had a Pioneer Stereo install shortly after I purchased it last year due to the fact it had no CD player. Just curious to know if this has anything to do with it.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The PCM need to be program with your vin number and mileage. And no the aftermarket radio will cause the problem.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
The PCM need to be program with your vin number and mileage. And no the aftermarket radio will cause the problem.
No, there is not any programming required.

As for the radio, I assume you meant to say ...will NOT cause...

Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 AM
jmaki7121

Thanks for the help will let you know when I get the new pcm and if it solves the issue.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Chazwel
Professional

Good luck, I am 4 dayd and coungting for my new remaned PCM................Life is good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fault Code "No Bus"