Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

95 Ram Van 1500 318 won't start???

Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
AT1957
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Ram Van 1500 318 won't start???

Problem started about a month ago, 1 day wouldn't start right off and eventually would later, last night wouldn't start (turns over great!), unplugged and plugged back coil, still no start, took fuses out and plugged back in and put jumper cables on and it did start, thought it was corroded fuse connection and thought it was fixed, today, will not start at all, pulled fuses again and checked and cleaned terminals and jumped it off as well to keep from draining battery, no start. Got new coil and unplugged old one and plugged new one in (however did not bolt to frame, just left hanging, still no start?) and ideas? Should I bolt new coil to frame to ground it? thought about this later??? Also, just to make sure it wasn't a fuel thing I sprayed some starting fluid in breather while cranking it, still wouldn't even try to crank.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Has it been cooler outside in your area lately? When a PCM is on the verge of going bad it tends to not generate spark when its cool. You can try warming up the PCM with a hairdryer for a few minutes then try and seeing if the engine starts. If it does you've found the problem.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
AT1957
Default 95 Ram Van 1500 318 won't start???

Hate to sound ignorant, but I am. What and where is a PCM at?

Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCM is the vehicle computer called a Power Control Module.

It's located just under the front mini-hood at the top of the cowl line. There will be three wire-harness connections into a dull aluminum cover plate.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM
jpbledsoe
Amateur

Originally Posted by AT1957
Problem started about a month ago, 1 day wouldn't start right off and eventually would later, last night wouldn't start (turns over great!), unplugged and plugged back coil, still no start, took fuses out and plugged back in and put jumper cables on and it did start, thought it was corroded fuse connection and thought it was fixed, today, will not start at all, pulled fuses again and checked and cleaned terminals and jumped it off as well to keep from draining battery, no start. Got new coil and unplugged old one and plugged new one in (however did not bolt to frame, just left hanging, still no start?) and ideas? Should I bolt new coil to frame to ground it? thought about this later??? Also, just to make sure it wasn't a fuel thing I sprayed some starting fluid in breather while cranking it, still wouldn't even try to crank.
Look at posts in this topic:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...nightmare.html

Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
AT1957

alloro, I first replaced some relays and it worked good for a few days, and then a couple of times it didn't want to start and eventually it would, one day it wouldn't, so I took your advice, took a blow dryer to it and it cranked immediately! So, sounds like a PCM, next question for everyone out there, where do you all recommend a reasonable place to get one?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

where do you all recommend a reasonable place to get one?
Any unlocked van at least 4 streets away from yours.

Prices change, so post the number off the PCM and we can help look around. The number ends with 2 letters like AA, AB, BB, etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 PM
jpbledsoe
Amateur

alloro, I first replaced some relays and it worked good for a few days, and then a couple of times it didn't want to start and eventually it would, one day it wouldn't, so I took your advice, took a blow dryer to it and it cranked immediately! So, sounds like a PCM, next question for everyone out there, where do you all recommend a reasonable place to get one?
I recently bought a A1-Cardone PCM for a 94 B350 at a local auto parts store. The cost was $232 after the $70 rebate for the old PCM.

In my case it was tax free because the van is a church van. Plus, I wanted to deal with a brick and mortar store in case I needed to return the unit right away. O'Reilly's said it has a 1-year free replacement warranty. O'Reilly's didn't ask for a part number of the existing unit. They didn't ask for the van's VIN. They just needed the standard info: year, model, engine size.

95 vans might be different; 95 might be the year when the PCMs could first be flashed (loading code in flash memory) for specific vehicles. In that case, you'd need to provide the van's VIN so the supplier can load the appropriate code. The supplier will ask for the VIN if it's required.

Good luck.

Last edited by jpbledsoe; 11-08-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: inserting words, correcting grammar
Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

any progress being done--patiently awaiting

Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 PM
AT1957

Need further help from out there. Ordered a PCM from O'Reilly, came in, it was the wrong one. Box had the right # on it, but actual PCM in box was different # and it wouldn't start the van, they ran the #'s of the actual PCM in the box and showed it was for a 93 van, instead of a 95, so took it back to O'Reilly, they stated that was the only one to be found and can't find another one!? Auto Zone said the same thing! Said I could send it off to get rebuilt, but may take a month to get it mailed off and then get it back, etc.! Anyone have any other ideas? Correct PCM has a 8347 # on it. Van VIN # is: 2B7GB11Y0SK534006. If I could find a good used one that would be wonderful. Also, I'm not 100% sure it is the PCM, probably, but not sure, one thing that makes me think it is, is that I can quickly heat the PCM with a blow dryer & it cranks, BUT ALSO I can wiggle the BIG electrical plug that plugs into it & it will usually quit, however I guess that "could" be a crack or something in the PCM circuit board maybe behind the pins maybe??? Wonder if one could open it up & look for cracked circuit board??? OR do you think it is a messed up plug, "tried" to look at the plug to see if there were any broken wires, but very hard to tell, didn't see any obvious problems. Any advice from anyone would be tremendously appreciated...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Ram Van 1500 318 won't start???