Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

No reverse lights ?? Please "HELP"

Old 11-16-2011, 05:44 PM
capttommy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No reverse lights ?? Please "HELP"

Ok so I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 van w/ a 5.9.... reverse lights stopped working ? I jumpped purple wire coming from the NSS going to the lights it self and they lit up, so simple right, just change the NSS !!! I did and no change. So I checked which wire was giving the switch 12vdc and found the wire. Now, it has 12v when not pluged into the NSS but as soon as I plug it in, it drops to 0v on my multi meter....any ideas ??

Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

What happens if you jumper the two outside wires together on the connector?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read this page... http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm It may not be the actual NSS, but it's a good trouble shooting to figure out how to fix yours.

Is the NSS even good?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
capttommy

My van has a five wire NSS, I know the 3rd wire goes back to the lights and the 1st wire should carry 12v but it does not. I traced the wire this morning and it goes up to a module mounted on the fire wall.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:20 AM
capttommy

Originally Posted by stev
Read this page... http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm It may not be the actual NSS, but it's a good trouble shooting to figure out how to fix yours.

Is the NSS even good?

My van has a five wire NSS, I know the 3rd wire goes back to the lights and the 1st wire should carry 12v but it does not. I traced the wire this morning and it goes up to a module mounted on the fire wall.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by capttommy
I traced the wire this morning and it goes up to a module mounted on the fire wall.
That could be the neutral safety wire. It gets grounded at the tranny. This would explain why your meter reads 12v then goes to 0v when you connect the wire. There should be a second wire with 12v. If you do not have one then you might still have a bad fuse somewhere.

That is all assuming that you have the correct part in your hand. The NSS (as far as I know) only has 3 wires and is located on the driver's side rear corner of the tranny. The center wire is for neutral safety and the outside two are power and reverse lights.

Last edited by alloro; 11-17-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM
capttommy

Originally Posted by alloro
That could be the neutral safety wire. It gets grounded at the tranny. This would explain why your meter reads 12v then goes to 0v when you connect the wire. There should be a second wire with 12v. If you do not have one then you might still have a bad fuse somewhere.

That is all assuming that you have the correct part in your hand. The NSS (as far as I know) only has 3 wires and is located on the driver's side rear corner of the tranny. The center wire is for neutral safety and the outside two are power and reverse lights.
My van has a five wire switch that is located on the driver side just above the oil pan, right next to the gear shift. I traced all the wires the come from it to a control module mounted on the fire wall, I think this may be the problem but I need to confirm that it is....don't want to spend 3or4 hundred bucks and still have the same problem. By the way I checked and re-checked all fuses !! I'm pulling my hair out over here.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:17 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the NSS located on the rear of the tranny or is that something else?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by stev
Isn't the NSS located on the rear of the tranny or is that something else?

That's what I said, but he seems to have one that is different (5-wire) from the normal ones (3-wire), like these: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=4584

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
capttommy
Smile

Ok, so I sent out my module to some guys down in florida and they said that they can repair this issue for me, $225.00 bucks and I'll have my reverse lights back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No reverse lights ?? Please "HELP"