Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Best Spark plugs for the 1999 Dodge 318 Your Opinon op

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
sparkzz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you having the rear end work done at the Dodge dealership?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 AM
gazza101
Rookie

I went through trying to figure out some good plugs, really comes down to the brand rather than what they are made of. those more expensive ones just last longer but no real gain. the other thing is that the computer will burn fuel at its required level. The only advantage you can get is by getting more speed from power output, going up a hill faster.

Best 2 things I did was change the ignition coil, and a grey bottle of stp

Temperature makes a difference.

Do you know what the CCA is of your battery, it sounds as though it is too small for the engine, any engine should start first time when set up properly.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by sparkzz
Are you having the rear end work done at the Dodge dealership?
Yes, they used to be a dodge dealership but they are no longer. They do sell multiple brands of new cars, so several of the mechanics that have been working dodge for over 20years are still there. I just received a call about 30 mins ago and the van is finished. I will let you all know how it turned out today or tomorrow. After this the last thing I have to do is install the window regulator

Jason

Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ComicDom1
Steve, doing the TB mod of grinding down the front two walls makes me nervous. I will read through it again and give it some thought. This is a 318 with a 355 rear end so the most I expect out of it is about 16mpg. If I happen to get more I would consider myself lucky.

Jason
My 2001 is the 5.2L/318cid Magnum with the 3.92 rear. After a few of the MPG mods, I was able to hit 19.7mpg hwy on a trip to FL. Of course this is before most stations went 10% ethanol. Now, it's 18.4mpg hwy.

If my van wasn't turning into a rust-o-van from the bottom, I would put more into making it better mpg with an eFan.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by gazza101
I went through trying to figure out some good plugs, really comes down to the brand rather than what they are made of. those more expensive ones just last longer but no real gain. the other thing is that the computer will burn fuel at its required level. The only advantage you can get is by getting more speed from power output, going up a hill faster.

Best 2 things I did was change the ignition coil, and a grey bottle of stp

Temperature makes a difference.

Do you know what the CCA is of your battery, it sounds as though it is too small for the engine, any engine should start first time when set up properly.
I do not know if I understand your logic here. As long as my battery is turning my starter, and the starter is rotating the engine fast enough to start then what would the CCA of a battery have anything to do with whether the engine would catch on the first crank or not?

It is more than likely be a light adjustment in the timing that affects how an engine starts. Since the computer ultimately controls the engine timing, I am wondering, even if I manually adjusted the engine timing, would it stay in the same place or would the computer electronically change it?

Jason

Jason

Old 08-15-2012, 12:18 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by stev
My 2001 is the 5.2L/318cid Magnum with the 3.92 rear. After a few of the MPG mods, I was able to hit 19.7mpg hwy on a trip to FL. Of course this is before most stations went 10% ethanol. Now, it's 18.4mpg hwy.

If my van wasn't turning into a rust-o-van from the bottom, I would put more into making it better mpg with an eFan.
Sounds like you did well Steve. I have a 3.55 rear end, but its clearly fixed after replacing the inner and outer pinion bearings. The 3.55 rear end should get a little better mileage than the 3.92 you have. Of course you would have better power on the bottom end than I would.
We both have the same engine 5.2 (318)

The mileage you achieved appears to be excellent for this size van. I would be thrilled if I got anywhere close. So far I do not have huge hopes for that. Steve like you, I am going to do a long trip down to Florida and back.

So far the underside of my van is not rusted out, and I am have been giving consideration and thought to spraying it down with some of that paint that converts rust. Also there is the option of using something like flex seal on the exposed parts of the frame and floor pans. I have not decided about that yet but I see those as two good options for preserving the van.

The rear end work that was done solved my issues. I cannot believe how quiet the van is. I repaired and replaced the power window regulator this afternoon. I also had all the tires rotated and balanced so our final prep for your trip is almost complete.

Jason

Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM
gazza101
Rookie

Cold Cranking Amps is the output of the battery before the alternator is in use. Every engine has a rating which should be matched to a battery. Also the colder the temperature the less the battery has to give. So even though you can turn the engine by sticking in any battery, you will lose starting power over time with a smaller battery. Which sounds like it has been your problem for a while if you have problems starting. Most of the time the battery is just one size too small, usually because it is slightly cheaper.

What I see in your situation is that on the first start you are drawing down on the battery, then when you release the battery, the battery will rejuvenate by digging deep into the reserve of it plates and bringing that to the surface thus allowing your battery to be fresher with enough power to get you going on the second or third time. But by doing this you do drain your battery down sooner.

It is a simple check to make also most batteries will last for about 6 years, and as I can't see what you have, it is why I ask :-)

Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

I will look at the battery and identify it for you today. I do know its a new commercial Auto Zone version that my Uncle bought prior to my trip to California to get the Van. I have no idea of the CCA but I do suspect it it sized properly. The Battery was also tested several times while I was sorting out the electrical problems so I know its in good condition. It has been load tested.

CCA usually has more to do with cold weather starting and energy available in cold weather. Since we are in the 80 degree weather and warmer part of the year, I am having a hard time grasping how CCA would effect my starting circuit.

Jason

Last edited by ComicDom1; 08-15-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for battery, the CCA should be 800 or higher.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by stev
As for battery, the CCA should be 800 or higher.

Actually Steve when I called the auto parts store, they list 650 for my 1999 5.2 and go up from there. The actually battery that is in my Van is is only about 550 so I will swap it out with another I have and see if it will make a difference. Its been running fine all this time with the exception of not starting on the first turn. I personally would have never thought this would have made a difference but I guess I will do an experiment and find out. It will be nice if it does and I certainly will have learned something.

Jason

Quick Reply: Best Spark plugs for the 1999 Dodge 318 Your Opinon op