Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1989 Dodge RAM B350 stalls (318cui)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 AM
sparkzz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "small metal ring" is a type of lockwasher that goes on a screw. It is not really supposed to be just bouncing around in there.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 AM
Hellhoff
Amateur

Originally Posted by nncoco
I had a huge stalling problem with my 1995 Dodge Ram Van. After a year of trying everything and hiring mechanics I found a solution.

1. Remove air cleaner and all sensors attached to the intake system.

2. Get a tooth brush, rags and a little clean transmission fluid.

3. Gently scrub and wipe away all areas and surfaces to remove old gasoline varnish.

4. Wipe everything clean and reassemble.

I also got an air compressor and blew out dust from every place I would see under the hood and inside the engine compartment. (Note: I attend Burning Man and get a lot of nasty desert dust and dry lakebed salt sticking to the engine.)

Turn on ignition to accessory position and carefully unhook battery cable to reset computer. Leave off for a few minutes and reattach. (WARNING: Risk of electric shock! Don't short it out either.)

This worked for me. Will it work for you? I don't know. Attempt at your own risk. Good luck.

Thank you for your input. I have to say I haven't been able to test if the van is currently working as intended. Lots of other stuff to do. It should still be a good idea to do a bit of cleaning. One question though:

Is there any sensor that can be damaged when using transmission fluid to clean it? From what I understand some of them are really sensitive.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM
churchmouse626
Default relays

Is the crankshaft position relay before or after the asd electrically and is there a test procedure to check if the sensor is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
nncoco

Originally Posted by Hellhoff
Is there any sensor that can be damaged when using transmission fluid to clean it? From what I understand some of them are really sensitive.
I would suggest detaching everything and cleaning them with a thinner solvent, like carb cleaner, very carefully. I had nothing to lose with my van because I had tried everything and was prepared to replace any and all sensors if necessary.

You are looking for signs of gasoline varnish and dark black gunk. This grime is easily targeted on smooth metal surfaces.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:05 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

toluene is hard to come by

Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:06 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Hellhoff
Amateur

I realized it would probably be a good idea to sum this thread up. The 1989 Dodge B350 was shutting down unexpectedly, in all kinds of conditions/weather/times.

I changed the fuel pump, the fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor and spark plug cables without any success. One of two final steps solved the problem.

1. Either the discovery of a loose lockwasher inside the distributor. One theory is that it would fly around and cause a failure randomly but I would assume this is not the real cause. In my opinion it shouldn't be able to cause these problems.

2. Probably the solution, I replaced the hall effect sensor. Since then the Dodge has been running fine, but a little rough at times. More on this in a new thread.

Quick Reply: 1989 Dodge RAM B350 stalls (318cui)