Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Recharging AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Smokey61110
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recharging AC

Hi All,

I have a 98 RAM 1500 Van 5.2 liter. The AC isn't working and the compressor isn't coming on. Where do I refill with the R-134? Will it even take it if the compressor isn't coming on? If not is there a way to jump it like I did in my 94 Ford van? Thank you in advance. This is our first dodge van!!!!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM
oleman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all practical purposes the B1500 is identical to a Ford van in A/C operation. Fittings are just in a different place.
The B1500 uses a better designed compressor, Sanden scroll, which also costs more if replacement is necessary.
The most important part of A/C recharge is to pull a good vacuum on the system to get all the air out before you add the Freon. I use a cheap harbor freight vacuum pump but you could be better off to just pay a shop for leak-test and recharge.
If it is discharged completely it is also probably low in oil so expect to have compressor issues in the future.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey61110
Will it even take it if the compressor isn't coming on?
Yes, the R134-a can is pressurized and as the pressure in the system rises the compressor will turn on. Do not jump it out, you will destroy the compressor.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

many repair places are offering AC service these early summer days... for the price that they charge, they can offer a lot of specialty equipment and expertise that might well be worth the expense to find out what IS wrong with your system...

Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdata
many repair places are offering AC service these early summer days... for the price that they charge, they can offer a lot of specialty equipment and expertise that might well be worth the expense to find out what IS wrong with your system...
amen to that!!!

Quick Reply: Recharging AC