Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

How to drain fuel from tank Ram 1500 Van???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM
floridacruiser
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to drain fuel from tank Ram 1500 Van???

I need to drain the fuel from the tank to replace the in tank fuel pump. How do I get the fuel out of the tank.

1999 Dodge Ram Van 1500 V-6 engine.

I tried sticking a syphon hose down the fill and it wouldn't go in far enough to reach the fuel.

Please...........any suggestions???

Thank you

Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-10-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 AM
floridacruiser
Rookie
Smile Thank you

Originally Posted by blackvan
Safest way is to run it out. As you are posting I will assume its too late for that.

I would run a hot wire to the fuel pump - after disconnecting it - and run a hose to your gas can to collect the fuel.
Thank you.....I just filled it up (35 Gallons) drove it home parked it. Went out to take it to town about a week later and it wouldn't start. Sat a few minutes and tried it again.....cranked over quite a bit, started but back fired and ran kind of rough. Tried it again and it started and ran smoother. Ran it down the driveway and it just quit like I shut off the key. Cranked a while and it started and called my local mechanic.

My local mechanic said to bring it over Monday and he would run a fuel pressure check and diagnose the problem. He said it sounds like the pump is going bad or some crap in the tank.

I just wanted to drain as much out as possible before taking it to him. I told him that I just filled the tank and he said no problem he can get the fuel out.

Thought I would save him the hassle and a lot less time on the bill for him having to fool with it.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by floridacruiser; 01-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail and run a hose from the line to a gas can to catch the fuel. Then along simular lines as black van but easier, is to pull the fuel pump relay and jump pin 30 to pin 87 on the relay slot. That will provide the positive power to make the pump run if it still can.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM
floridacruiser
Rookie
Thumbs up Problem Solved

Just got it back from the garage. It wasn't the fuel pump causing the problem. It was the Crank Sensor. After running all the tests with their fancy equipment they found the problem.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Old 01-14-2015, 03:59 PM
daguvena88
Professional

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
If you can disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail and run a hose from the line to a gas can to catch the fuel. Then along simular lines as black van but easier, is to pull the fuel pump relay and jump pin 30 to pin 87 on the relay slot. That will provide the positive power to make the pump run if it still can.
I don't need to have the key in the ignition/acc or anything, 30 will provide 12v to 87 (fuel pump power) regardless, right? Any risk of burning the pump up if it runs the tank empty? No need to do anything wiht the ground on the harness side of the relay slot?

My plan is to use
this extension hose this extension hose
off the fuel rail shrader valve fitting.
Thanks

Quick Reply: How to drain fuel from tank Ram 1500 Van???