Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New PCM in my future?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Hairy Eagle
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New PCM in my future?

FIXED!

Not sure how to edit the post title....

Solution on page 2

Hello All,

I've had my B3500 for just over a week now, 156 miles to be exact. I'm quite fond of the beast!

Went to the platinum Autolites, brass contact cap and rotor, cleaned the IAC. Found a burn through in the air filter and chalked it up to someone shooting ether into the snorkel. Since I've had the van it will occasionally bog down and not accelerate, or idle poorly, then all is fine. Today the engine shut off on it's own when going into park. Ran fine for 30 miles then while accelerating up a steep hill it started to backfire, maybe why the filter had burned through on the previous owner, and acted like the timing was way off. Pulled over, shut off and restarted and all ran fine. After reading this helpful forum I had picked up a used PCM to have in case mine went.

Looks like a quick swap so I'll give the backup a shot, but any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Geoff

Last edited by Hairy Eagle; 05-01-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: SOLVED
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like a failing fuel pump.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Hairy Eagle
Amateur

I became PCM failure obsessed...pretty much where my diagnostics began and ended.

Thank you for the heads up alloro. On Monday I'll hook up the fuel pressure tester and try to duplicate the issue.

I have about 3/4 of a tank of gas right now, if the pump doesn't fully crap out on Monday I'll be able to use it to pump out about 10 gallons, no storage for more. Years ago I did the FP job on an 89 Ramcharger, pump dead and no other storage for fuel available. Removed the saddle from my floor jack, bolted on some plywood through the hole and strapped the tank to the plywood. The Ramcharger didn't need to be lifted, not sure about the van...

Geoff

Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Hairy Eagle
Removed the saddle from my floor jack, bolted on some plywood through the hole and strapped the tank to the plywood.
I've done the same thing for lowering fuel tanks and transmissions. It's nice to know there are at least 2 geniuses in this world! LOL

Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Hairy Eagle
Amateur

Oh yes it does work well for transmission drops too. In the inevitable future Dodge has in store for me, I will enjoy the ease of getting to the upper bell housing bolts from above...though mayhaps not too soon.

Dug out the old fuel pressure tester and hooked in. Runs at 49 psi, sometimes fluttering between 45-55 psi. Won't get a chance to drive it with the tester hooked up till Monday.

Thanks,
Geoff

Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
Sounds like a failing fuel pump.
+1 or something in the gas that shouldn't be there.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Hairy Eagle
Amateur

Or something added to combustion on another route?

I'm miles away from the van on snowy Sunday morning, remembering the Friday before last when I went over the van after getting it home. The PO had a year old receipt for shocks, abs sensor and topping off the brake fluid. Didn't click at the time. I myself topped it off the first day, didn't notice any wetness/leaks, thought big pistons, big van, fluid will drop with friction wear.

However...could an internal master leak be sucked into the intake via the booster? Would the symptoms be similar? Some of the old plugs had orange colored electrode ceramics--I've seen this from some fuel additives. I'm itching to pull the vacuum line to the booster. First thing when I get home.

Thanks,
Geoff

Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Hairy Eagle
Amateur

Well, I finally got a chance to pull the booster vacuum line. No brake fluid in there. Dry as dry can be. Pulled a rear wheel and drum, and Huston I have weepy wheel cylinders--but thankfully dry, clean shoes. I can't feel too bad missing that in my pre-purchase inspection--it had passed a State O Maine sticker inspection 11 miles and 6 days before I slid underneath for the first time, and I did check for leaks...not too bad a fix. If and when the snow stops falling here.

So, I still have the fuel pressure tester hooked up, we are expecting 12-14 more inches of snow here starting tomorrow, so I won't get a chance before the weekend to take it out on the road to see if the fuel pressure goes wonky when the bogging, backfiring and fun starts.

Does anyone know how tight the grommet for the CCV should be? I hit it with some propane with the engine running, and it doesn't seem to draw vacuum, but there is about a 16th of an inch play.

More data as it become available...

Thanks,
Geoff

Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The fuel pressure tester I use has a bypass on it so i'm always sampling gas. You would be surprised at how common it is that I find something floating in it or even separating from it after it sits a while. You really have to watch out if you frequent an old station with OLD tanks in the ground. Another tip is, if you pull up to a gas station and you see the tanker truck parked with the hose running into the ground filling them up.....move along. Go back the next day after it settles.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Hairy Eagle
Amateur

Originally Posted by TNtech
The fuel pressure tester I use has a bypass on it so i'm always sampling gas. You would be surprised at how common it is that I find something floating in it or even separating from it after it sits a while. You really have to watch out if you frequent an old station with OLD tanks in the ground. Another tip is, if you pull up to a gas station and you see the tanker truck parked with the hose running into the ground filling them up.....move along. Go back the next day after it settles.
I was just about to post a question on the best way to run the fuel pump directly from the battery so I could pump out a few gallons an let it sit in glass jars. My tester has a bleed bypass as well...much better way to get my sample. Thanks!

The van is a 98 with just over 91k on it, and from the records left by the PO, he drove it about 5k miles in 2 years, and only a few dozen or so since September.

Geoff

Quick Reply: New PCM in my future?