Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Just hypothetical

Old 05-15-2013, 07:30 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just hypothetical

Can you swap a 318 Magnum in the place of a v6 and use the same wiring harness. At a glance, it seems a change of PCM would be the only thing...

Old 05-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No for the v6 does not have 8 injector wiring harness. You do need the wiring harness with the 318 engine.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

duh ...

6 vs 8 --- I was thinking maybe you could wire the other tow in but it is probably easier just to use the 8

so is that the only change out, adding the v8 wiring harness. It looks like it would be a straigh up swap...and the speedo / gauges would still work too, correct?

If this is the case, I may get a 318, rebuild it in my shed during my free time, and then pop it in.

Also are the springs up front different? They should be the same - I would think

Also I still could use the 32RH ???

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You most likely could do that but you would need a wiring diagram for both PCM's to be sure all the wires are in the correct place for the PCM otherwise you would have major issues trying to start the engine up for the first time.

I would not think it would be very hard to change the harness out between the two, IMO it would make the job easier and faster for the swap.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doing a swap is not just the engine, but the tranny and PCM as well for your year of Ram Van.

The PCM conrols the shift-by-wire of the 46RE tranny to the V8 5.2L/318cid. And swapping that to the little V6 removes the OVERDRIVE causing the van to BURN MORE GAS. The V8 5.2L with the 46RE (OD) in the B1500 configuration using the 3.55:1 rear is the best setup for fuel economy. Your van should be getting an impressive 19+mpg Hwy. If not, then find my forum thread called MPG IMPROVEMENTS.

That thread should give you plenty of insight to restore the lost MPG and then increase the MPG with some simple and yet not so pricey mods. Like anything else, our vans are pigs, but the guzzling can be tamed. Reduce the friction like a good BSA scout learns at a pine wood derby can boost the benefits greatly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just hypothetical