Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

85 B250 Holley 2280 carb question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
JimmTwo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 B250 Holley 2280 carb question

When driving around left corners, van dies and have to restart engine....what might this be?
New fuel filter, air filter, all vacum lines hooked up and are new. Choke works good, idles @850 rpm when warmed up, dist set @ 34 degrees.
Just makes no sense why it will shut off in left turns ,not right turns or straight.
Or am I looking in the wrong place? thought fuel sloshing or accelorator pump with cracked rubber, electrical doesn't make any sense.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 AM
JimmTwo

Have searched a LOT of videos, web pages, and service manuals. I've found one video where the floats contacted the outer edge of the float bowl (binding) causing a very low fluid level in the float bowl. I think it may be a very good place to begin. worth a look. A carb rebuild is in the very near future, with new/proper floats.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
JimmTwo
Default Doing the complete 2280 Holley rebuild

In anyone's mind in 1985, every idle mixture screw was a slot. cleaned the out side of my carb and low and behold they are torx............what changed. how to count the number of turns in to seat???????????????

Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimmTwo
Have searched a LOT of videos, web pages, and service manuals. I've found one video where the floats contacted the outer edge of the float bowl (binding) causing a very low fluid level in the float bowl. I think it may be a very good place to begin. worth a look. A carb rebuild is in the very near future, with new/proper floats.
Yes, I think you are on the right track. I had this exact issue with an autolite four barrel with a dual float setup that was hanging up against the side of the bowl during left turns. The car would then stall. I had to pull off the road and tap on the side of the carb which would eventually unstick the float and then the car would start again.

It took some playing around (bending the floats very slightly inward / outward) before I found a setting that worked.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimmTwo
In anyone's mind in 1985, every idle mixture screw was a slot. cleaned the out side of my carb and low and behold they are torx............what changed. how to count the number of turns in to seat???????????????
I would use permanent marker to index the screwdriver shaft (bit driver, whatever) by marking with a dot or stripe so you can count the turns.

Quick Reply: 85 B250 Holley 2280 carb question