Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission: Beginning of the End?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funair02
Why?
FWIW I had a real good tranny shop do my 32RH - installed all the updates and fixes - and got a new TC for $900. I has been 2 years now and it is still strong and great.

His warranty was 2 years. If it was the 42RH it have been $1600.

But, if you feel it is worth it - OK
It apparently makes people feel more secure to spend 3x more money for a warranty. I could buy 4 or 5 used 46REs at the current salvage prices here and even if they only lasted 50k miles per I'd still come out ahead.

All warranties, guarantees, and insurance policies are simply variations on an age old scam called the "numbers racket". These pieces of paper make companies a lot of money because a) Americans can't do basic math and b) this scam make them feel all warm and fuzzy and protected. The reality is there is no insurance against real life and every mechanical device will fail at some point.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 AM
daguvena88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blackvan, I've done the math. This hasn't been an easy decision. I consider myself tight and reasonable with my wallet.

Unfortunately I don't have the means to do the trans swaps myself so labor charges need to be considered. Labor charges around my area are high compared ot the prices mentioned below (COL is over 20% higher than San Antonio, TX at least). I haven't been able to get an in-house rebuilt price under $2k with barely a warranty. Labor on swaps are quoated at $6-800. There just isnt as nearly as much savings for me to squeeze as you folks are suggesting.

The reality is this is a campervan. When it died, it was an hour and half drive in any direction from cell phone service and a half days drive from home. Fully loaded with personal belongings. On a weekend night. It cost me my vacation and $450 to tow it home. Being far from home in desolate locations like this without means to arrange logistics for repairs are common in my use. If this were a van I used primarily close to home or civilization for that matter, sure I'd consider rolling the dice on a local rebuilt where dealing with a transmission issue wouldnt be such a nightmare and hefty tow fee. But the ability to just have it towed to the nearest dodge/chrysler/jeep/fiat dealership and have it taken care of I suppose makes me feel warm fuzzy and protected.

Last edited by daguvena88; 04-14-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 PM
fursail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the kick down cable. Dodge has a ****ty design, it runs thru the shift selector on the trans. It holds water even though it's sealed. They rust up and stick. very common problem with dodge as far back as 1973 that i can recall. you have to phyiscally lube the cable and the lever on the trans and keep doing every oil change

Quick Reply: Transmission: Beginning of the End?