Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

trailer towing help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default trailer towing help

'01 B2500 on 3500 frame, 5.2l 4.10 rear end, Maxi-van...
I am going to upgrade from my popup camper to a full-size travel trailer (24 ft or less) sometime in the next 9 months. The rear bumper now seems high, but that extended rear end will bottom out sometimes on dips in the side road entrances to gas stations. I want to raise the rear hitch height to avoid that especially now that I will be increasing the tongue load from 150# to maybe 350# or 450#. I have thought about going to a spring shop and having them add some leaf spring shackle height if that is possible to add an inch height. I have also thought about adding air bags. What is anyone's opinion on this tow hitch height problem on these extended vans? I don't think I will have a problem pulling a 4-5000# trailer. I just got back from a 3,000 mile trip south to southern FL and back to KY, plus running around the state to 6 different campgrounds. The van ran strong the entire time.
I am looking for specific suggestions on brands of suspension air bags and or suspension mods to help me trailer safely. FYI, typically I am not loaded down with anything really heavy in the rear of the van, except a heavy floor jack that I carry in case I have a blow out, and that is only about 70#. I might throw in a cooler the last thing in the rear when leaving for a camping trip.
thx for the help, Roger

Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 AM
Daves69
Veteran

Sounds like you're adding more weight on the tongue. For a permanent fix I think you'd be better off to add a leaf rather than extended shackles. Just make sure the shock range is not exceeded.
Secondary to that I think Air Lift and Firestone air bags may be available. I'd stay away from air shocks.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:24 PM
iodj44
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon, the rear overhang is the cause of your dragging not so much the bumper height. Airbags should be considered as the van will handle MUCH better loaded and unloaded. I have towed with Maxi-Vans, never with a 5.2 but the 4:10s should help with the power as a 24ft travel trailer will be a easy 5k loaded for camping. Can not see you having any serious problems best of luck.

Last edited by iodj44; 03-29-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:51 PM
rsdata
Captain
Default thx guys BUT...

thanks for the two suggestions above, however... let me re-state...

I am looking for specific suggestions on brands of suspension air bags and or suspension mods to help me pull a larger (maybe up to 22 foot, 4000# RV trailer.

I am also trying to raise the rear over-hang height, (slightly) so that I do not bottom out when encountering a dip in the pavement, (even unloaded) such as happens sometimes when entering a gas station. And as I intend to have 400# tongue weight trailer, I suspect it will squat the rear even more then it is now when I tow my 150# tongue weight popup camper. I do have 175K miles on the old girl. I do not think I need any more carrying capacity as it is a 2500 with a 3500 frame under her... and I don't carry any heavy loads, especially all the way in the rear. I have put in a rebuilt tranny about 5K miles ago, and she runs great with plenty of power for me ( I usually top out at 65 on level ground), even though it is only the 5.2. I am experienced towing. This is my third Dodge Maxi van since 1985.

I just need to know pros/cons about specific suspension upgrades for what I am trying to do. 1. not bottom out (higher rear ground clearance) 2. increased tongue loading on the hitch Are air bags the solution for both?

If money was no object I would purchase a 3/4 ton pickup... but I like my old van! and it is paid for.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:13 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you have the leaf springs re-arched and add a leaf at the same time.

Assuming you are using a class 3 receiver. I've used adjustable height mounts like this one so I can quickly adjust ball height for different trailers. Solved my issue (scraping my trailer jack in/out of driveways)

http://amzn.com/B0007M30AI

Last edited by blackvan; 03-29-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:49 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Well I have owned 5 Maxi-Vans great tow vehicles, raising ride height was never a thought. Should you want to reduce squat after trailer hitched airbags are the best choice ,Airlift 5000 is what I use, Firestone sells a quality product. Also I trust you are using a weight distribution system.

Also with the air bags you could raise the ride height if you wanted.

Last edited by iodj44; 03-30-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsdata
'01 B2500 on 3500 frame, 5.2l 4.10 rear end, Maxi-van...
We have the same van other than my rear end is 3.92:1

I have the RoadMaster Active Suspension Kit for the Ram Van. It makes a world of a difference for towing. Get the heavy duty unit for your van. Sure it costs a little more, but the cost or rear suspension air-bags or gas assisted shocks will not help too much.

http://www.strutmasters.com/Dodge-Ra...rm-4611-dv.htm

Scout this page for more options ....
http://www.strutmasters.com/Dodge-Va...arts-s/307.htm

The kit part numbers under the older listing are here ...
http://activesuspension.ca/RASAppGuide05.pdf
This is what is in my posting on the far right top.

Last edited by stev; 03-31-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
iodj44
Veteran

As we learn in life there are often more than one solution to a problem, that being said I have airbags in my current B3500. This van pulls a 35ft racing sloop a 26ft Pacemaker Sportfish and lastly our 28ft camper the (lightest 8000 lbs) and from my experience airbags make a HUGE difference.

We pull these trailers over 4000 miles annually 90% of the time with the van.

The Strutmasters product I have no or know of anyone with personal knowledge running that product so you will not receive negative comments from me regarding Strutmasters. What I can comment about is the extended 1 ton Dodge vans we have owned with airbags, road manners improved dramatically driving loaded/unloaded, or pulling a trailer.

Do your research and best luck with your choice.

Last edited by iodj44; 03-31-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Ram Van with the RoadMaster Active Suspension easily tows a dual axle trailer hauling 8-tons of gravel from our stone quarry. I had done this several times last summer up the steepest slopes in the quarry. The load "E" tires are a must to pull like this.

I've even pulled a staggered trailer three vehicle hauler, numerous travel trailer campers (member or RV.net), animal trailers, and a few hundred miles trailering a John Deere tractor.

One thing suspension airbags can not do is to help prevent a rollover. I lost a co-worker back in 1999 when his 12-passenger van flipped towing a 26ft travel trailer camper in Florida. His family of 8 was with him. The rear suspension airbags did nothing to prevent it. The RoadMaster (RAS) system not only keeps the weight under control, it great helps keeping the van stable in various driving habits.

Over 1,100 people have died in large van roll overs in the past decade.
http://www.activesuspension.com/how-...your-van-safer

For RVing, read up on how the RAS system works.
http://www.activesuspension.com/now-youre-rving

Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) works like extra helper springs, air bags, anti-sway bars and traction bars all in one!

http://www.activesuspension.com/2012...per-spring-ras
Basic air suspension kits are inflated by hand, while the more expensive kits can be inflated in the cab with a regulator panel and gauges. It’s important to note that the benefits of these more sophisticated kits are great, but can run upwards of $1000.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
daguvena88
Professional

I installed
Air Lift Air Lift
air bags on my heavy campervan. Amazon currently has 10% off till April 11th. They were easy to install. I routed the valves inside the van. Havent lost any pressure since install (a year or two ago). Can vary pressure with load (tow a boat hundreds of miles). Handling is like a new van. Highly recommend.

I don't know much about the RAS system mentioned above but I suspect the majority of rollovers occur with either failed components (blown tires, broken ball joint, etc) or more likely driver ignorance/recklessness.

Quick Reply: trailer towing help