Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

all things ECU Engine Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 03:09 AM
sparkzz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent ! Hope it holds up. Probably many ECU's replaced because of flaky pin/socket
connections.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:02 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

I drove it around today and the throttle response is much different. Feels like I took 750 Lbs out of the Van.

The exhaust smells different too. Cleaner, if that is possible and not just a placebo effect.

I think the sensors, like map sensor and throttle position sensor were not being fed a true 5 volts due to a weak connection, and the return signal was not representative of actual throttle position or manifold vacuum. I did get a seldom Map sensor and TPS sensor code on a recent 1750 mile roadtrip.

Or perhaps it was in a 'limp home' mode and using preset values due to the bad connection/connector, and if so, it was in this limp home mode for 8 years, and still passed smog tests.

I could detect no more actual power at full throttle, it just required less throttle input to achieve the same acceleration as before. 15 to 20% in my estimation, and this makes it feel a whole lot more powerful and more like a modern vehicle.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 AM
Tommy555
Professional

Gotta love technology. Instead of just having an engine that can run forever, they have to go ahead and add a computer that can ruin and disable the entire vehicle when it breaks. Good going people, you've just evolved us into stupidity in the name of progress.

Last edited by Tommy555; 11-29-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 AM
The War Wagon
Professional
Lightbulb

Performance ECU for my Magnum RC set me back 3 bills & change from Summit, AND... you hafta run premium gas with it thereafter, BUT... it will allow me to run a hotter/performance setup, that the old ECU would not.

When I get the new heads, lifters, cam, and throttlebody for it this spring, I'll get it installed, and let you know how it performs.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:57 AM
jung

All same symptoms. I finnally tried something that worked! I took the ecu out of the van cause it was of corse not starting cause below freezing. Put on my heat vents in my house. After some hours I put the ecu bak in van quickly and turned my keys and it started right up.... so for now I bring it in w me at night..lol ps disconnect neg terminal before removal and replaceing... hope it wrks for u. I finnaly know it is def my ecu failing in the cold. HEAT IT N RUN IT.PEACE

Old 01-24-2015, 08:10 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

nice to know--thanks

Quick Reply: all things ECU Engine Control Unit