Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Antenna installation on 1991 Van

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM
ndee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Antenna installation on 1991 Van

Hi Folks!
I am new here and also new in the Dodge-Area with a 1991 Maxi Van (Windowed with 5,9l/OD/AC/CC). I own a 58 Chevy Brookwood as well.
I want to install an electric antenna. Am i wrong or is there no way to get it inside the right fender???

Right now there is a fixed small antenna installed, but itīs reception-qualities are quite poor.
Best from Germany
Andy

Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how to remove the fender panel on the passenger side.

As for antenna reception, the stock is so-so. One can find an antenna the same length with a thicker diameter to obtain better performance. A signal booster helps too.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:48 PM
arthur1920
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to put it?

Originally Posted by ndee
Hi Folks!
I am new here and also new in the Dodge-Area with a 1991 Maxi Van (Windowed with 5,9l/OD/AC/CC). I own a 58 Chevy Brookwood as well.
I want to install an electric antenna. Am i wrong or is there no way to get it inside the right fender???

Right now there is a fixed small antenna installed, but itīs reception-qualities are quite poor.
Best from Germany
Andy

I wouldn't put it there. I did. I used an aftermarket shaft with extra windings. The reception was lousy. And it was never secure on the highway. IIRC I drilled the hole and some how managed to fish it in. I just had the fenders replaced and I dont want to put it there again.

anyone have success with another location?

Anyone tried one of those "shark fin" powered antennas on the roof?

Any one tried the kind you put in the windshield?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arthur1920
I wouldn't put it there. I did. I used an aftermarket shaft with extra windings. The reception was lousy. And it was never secure on the highway. IIRC I drilled the hole and some how managed to fish it in. I just had the fenders replaced and I dont want to put it there again.

anyone have success with another location?

Anyone tried one of those "shark fin" powered antennas on the roof?

Any one tried the kind you put in the windshield?
The windshield ones are junk and worthless.

As for the wider diameter on the fender, that should work. Being a HAM radio operator for some years, that's how we managed to boost reception. Of course one must also wrap an outside wire around the main rod cut to the band length.

As for the shark-fin, it's better than the OE stock.

Here is one excellent method ...
http://www.mile204.us/PotsdamDan/Rub...timate_AM.html

Quick Reply: Antenna installation on 1991 Van