Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

99 b1500 ride height issue, new leafs now its worse! help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:42 AM
iodj44
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please allow me to add my opinion, leave your springs alone and increase your rear tire size and fill the gap. Your front suspension may need the springs upgraded but that would be for you to decide. But when loaded with a trailer the tongue weight is mostly on the rear even with a weight distribution hitch. Also considering that pic of your rig with that jeep if you are pulling trailers which a weight distribution hitch can not be used (AKA uhaul) you could use that extra height in the rear. One question does your van have enough GVWR to legally pull that Jeep/Trailer? If not your insurance company will have a excuse not to pay a claim if you have a accident.

Last edited by iodj44; 09-29-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:49 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

31.5 -32.5" height from ground to inside wheel well is stock for a 2000 B1500 conversion van with new 235/75 (Michelin LTX) XL rated tires that weighs 5700lbs. This should be measured from the wheel well inner lip, not the fender flares..

Wrong springs or your front springs/shocks may be shot.

Last edited by blackvan; 09-29-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:26 PM
mcubed4130

Originally Posted by blackvan
31.5 -32.5" height from ground to inside wheel well is stock for a 2000 B1500 conversion van with new 235/75 (Michelin LTX) XL rated tires that weighs 5700lbs. This should be measured from the wheel well inner lip, not the fender flares..

Wrong springs or your front springs/shocks may be shot.
When you say inside wheel well, do you mean from ground to top of wheel well?

-Michael

Old 09-30-2014, 01:32 PM
mcubed4130

Originally Posted by iodj44
Please allow me to add my opinion, leave your springs alone and increase your rear tire size and fill the gap. Your front suspension may need the springs upgraded but that would be for you to decide. But when loaded with a trailer the tongue weight is mostly on the rear even with a weight distribution hitch. Also considering that pic of your rig with that jeep if you are pulling trailers which a weight distribution hitch can not be used (AKA uhaul) you could use that extra height in the rear. One question does your van have enough GVWR to legally pull that Jeep/Trailer? If not your insurance company will have a excuse not to pay a claim if you have a accident.
Hi there, I normally pull a couple of jetskis on a #2200 trailer - so I'm not adding all that much towing weight. But my problem was - my van rear suspension would sag just as much if I put in more than 4 adults... if I put in 7 adults + luggage + jetski trailer... it didn't rub the tires but it was very close.

As for tires - the XL load tires 235/75R15 either are completely worn through the tread in about 10,000 to 15,000 miles... or... I get sidewall bulges - so I've been changing tires about 1 time per year. I'm now looking at moving to 225/75R16 Load E tires. Which will increase my overall tire size by +1" - aka. 1/2" on all sides of the tire will be larger which I can easily accommodate. However the fact that I have 10" ground clearance in the rear and 7" in the front is driving me nuts... the dragster look is not much fun when you can't see the stop light without hunching down in the seat.

-Michael

Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Afternoon, well your issues are not difficult to correct. Ride height can be corrected by removing one leaf that should lower the rear by how much I could not say, but leaves you with a normal suspension. Flipping the axle is not as easy as it sounds.

As for the tires your mileage is surprisingly low, I have 45K miles on Bridgestone V Steels and likely have another 20-30k left. Keep in mind most LT tires will wear well and the stiff side walls would be very helpful when you have the van heavily loaded and or pull that Jeep or a load of similar weight. That being said the tires you listed should serve you nicely. Last Tire Rack can tell you the size 16 tire that would be the same outside diameter as your 15"s so your speedometer and abs won't be confused.

We all have opinions just sharing mine.

Bast Regards
Clarence

Last edited by iodj44; 09-30-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:01 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcubed4130
When you say inside wheel well, do you mean from ground to top of wheel well?

-Michael
Yes..

Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 PM
mcubed4130

Originally Posted by iodj44
Afternoon, well your issues are not difficult to correct. Ride height can be corrected by removing one leaf that should lower the rear by how much I could not say, but leaves you with a normal suspension. Flipping the axle is not as easy as it sounds.
That ended up being the solution I went with (removed the 2nd to the bottom leaf from the pack) - well in addition to the custom longer shackles I'm now down to 32" in the rear, which appears to be what others have said is normal.

The front is another story.

Seems since I finally got the rear working well, the fronts are next - there are some freeways I travel on that have lots of ups and downs, and when immediately following an up and then a down - I bottom the front coil springs.

So now I'm trying in vain to find front coil springs for a 1999 dodge van... NOT easy.

-Michael

Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 PM
mcubed4130

Originally Posted by landyacht318
I replaced my Moog equivalent 7270 springs with 7272 which are thicker.

I did Not gain any ride height, but it no longer bottoms out and handles turns better, flatter, but rides rougher.

I'd replace the front springs with 7270 diameter springs to keep it from bottoming out and have longer shackles made to keep the original ride height.
What year van do you have? I'm trying in vain so far to find out what Moog Coil Spring part number will fit onto my van.

It seems on the entire Ram Van forum, you are the only person who ever posted a part number for front coil springs! :-) ( well that I can find anyway ).

-Michael

Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM
mcubed4130

For anyone who reads this, call a few Chrysler dealerships until you find a parts department who asks for the VIN# of your van.

Based on my VIN# - the dealership confirmed my van left their factory with 3500 series Coil Springs - unfortunately, they could not tell me why they have 2 part numbers listed.

So... I either have Dodge OEM P/N: 52039270 (rated for 2925lbs) - or I have Dodge OEM P/N: 52039271 (rated for 3072lbs) -or... I have both - and one of these is for the drivers side and one is for the passenger side. sigh. time to climb under the van and see if the tags are still there.

Also a place called "Vintage Parts" bought all the backstock from Chrysler. Although their prices are about $100 higher per spring than what I see on ebay.

Hope this helps someone.

BTW - I also called the parent company that makes springs for moog, acdelco, napa, etc... and they explained that the 97+ dodge ram van coil springs were never setup on their dies. heresay so maybe correct maybe not but seems correct so far.

-Michael

Quick Reply: 99 b1500 ride height issue, new leafs now its worse! help!