Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

When I try to put gas in my van...

Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 PM
BlackVanDwellington
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When I try to put gas in my van...

I can only get to like 2 or 3 dollars worth and then the pump shuts off as if my tank is full. I have gone to several different gas stations, same problem. I did some research online, and ran across EVAP systems. Can everyone tell me where the solenoid is located in my van. Maybe I can check to see if the gas line needs to be clean before I just go all out and replace it. All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

some additional information might help to get you the correct solution...
year, model, engine and is this a stock van or conversion?

how long have you had this problem? have you been able to put in a full tank before and now this problem has just cropped up?

I can only get to like 2 or 3 dollars worth and then the pump shuts off
so you drive away with less then a gallon of gas... then have to stop again in about 10 miles to refuel? what does your fuel guage read? something does not sound right here...

when inserting the nozzle, if you do a full insertion my van will shut off pump, but if I pull the nozzle partly out and let it hang in there it will then fully pump until almost full, then a couple of more squeezes of the handle and it fills all the way...

I don't think you have an evap problem... maybe a restriction in the fill hose to the tank? Could someone want to sabotage your van by sticking something into the fuel filler hose?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:23 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Ford truck that I had to put the nozzle in upside down for it to take fuel.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rsdata
if you do a full insertion my van will shut off pump, but if I pull the nozzle partly out and let it hang in there it will then fully pump until almost full, then a couple of more squeezes of the handle and it fills all the way...

I don't think you have an evap problem... maybe a restriction in the fill hose to the tank? Could someone want to sabotage your van by sticking something into the fuel filler hose?
My 2000 is the same, have to pull the nozzle out a bit or the pump will shutoff every time.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
BlackVanDwellington

Originally Posted by rsdata
To be honest with you I don't have any enemies that would go that far. So my van is a 1995 Dodge Ram Van 1500 V8 5.12. I have already replaced the fuel filter, then I replace the ignition switch. I started noticing this problem about a week or so ago. I struggle to get at least 2 gallons in my van. So what I have been doing as of late is filling up a gas can, and then putting it in my tank. Even when I do that at certain points, the gas bubbles up and spills down the side.

Today while driving to work the van stopped on me 3 times. It stopped on me three times last night as well. I figured the best thing to do it take it to a shop and see what the problem with it is. I was hoping I could get some tips on what I should look for or anything like that.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have already replaced the fuel filter, then I replace the ignition switch.
well neither of these items have anything to do with gas not filling the gas tank

Today while driving to work the van stopped on me 3 times. It stopped on me three times last night as well.
It sounds as if you have multiple problems with this van... only one of which is related to the fuel filling problem

How long have you owned this van and how many miles are on it??? Does the gas guage on the dashboard tell you that you have an empty gas tank? These big Dodge vans don't get great gas mileage... 12-15 MPG is about as good as it gets. You can't get very far if you are only putting 2 gallons of gas in an empty tank.

Filling the gas tank is not rocket science... a rather large hose connects the tank to the filler tube. If there is a restriction in the filler tube, gas will have a tough time going down into the tank. The filler tube is just a rubber section from the inlet, to the tank. You can take it off and see what the problem might be.

A picture of t he part is seen here... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...4575_623425_0_

Nine out of ten shops will charge a small fortune to solve multiple problems on OLD vehicles, and a '95 is pretty old. Most will just start swapping parts in a shotgun approach and charge you for everything that they do if they fix the problem or not. Best to track down a mechanical friend that you can pay with beer to help you fix this problem, and all of the problems that older vans develop over the years. This forum can help if you let it and you are more elaborate in your descriptions of the problems...
the van stopped on me 3 times. It stopped on me three times last night as well.
Did it stop like it was running out of gas, bucking and coughing, or did it just stop dead? Did you add gas? How many miles are you driving while this is happening? Fill in the info here and then people can start to help you.

You would be better off trying to solve some of the problems yourself... this fuel filling problem seems as if it should be simple to fix. Taking off and looking at the filler tube is the first step.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackVanDwellington
I can only get to like 2 or 3 dollars worth and then the pump shuts off as if my tank is full.
I want to come and live there where it only takes $2-$3 to fill my tank.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM
BlackVanDwellington

Originally Posted by alloro
I want to come and live there where it only takes $2-$3 to fill my tank.
It takes way more than 2 or 3 bucks to fill the tank. Im saying that that is all the pump will allow until it starts clicking off. Now I have to fill up a gas can and put gas in my tank through a gas can. I put gas into the van daily because of this. I drive about 7 miles to work somedays shorter. The meter does not work, the guy that had it before me had to replace the cpu and hasn't worked since. I've had the van since December, and started van dwelling in Feb.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackVanDwellington
It takes way more than 2 or 3 bucks to fill the tank. Im saying that that is all the pump will allow until it starts clicking off. Now I have to fill up a gas can and put gas in my tank through a gas can. I put gas into the van daily because of this. I drive about 7 miles to work somedays shorter. The meter does not work, the guy that had it before me had to replace the cpu and hasn't worked since. I've had the van since December, and started van dwelling in Feb.
Wrong ECM/PCM. You can either talk to a dealer and get it reprogrammed or buy a unit programmed for this van online. That will solve your gauge problem and probably some other issues you may not have noticed yet.

As to filling the tank, as previously indicated by rsdata you have an obstruction. Remove and inspect the fuel tank filler hose and replace if needed.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM
BlackVanDwellington

I took it to the shop. You are right, there is an obstruction. That explains the gas part. As for the cut off...has to do with the crank sensor. im just going to have the shop fix that problem and take care of the fuel part myself. I've tried looking for another ECM/PCM a few months back but no luck. Saw one today on ebay though. Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When I try to put gas in my van...