Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Airbag light in my 02

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 AM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light in my 02

Hi all...

Last week, my red Airbag light came on. It came on while driving and then shut off 2-3 seconds after that.
Thinking it was a fluke I ingnored it.
Then a few days ago, during a short drive, it came on twice...
Then a couple of days ago, it came on 4 times...
Last night during a 10 minute drive it came on, then off, then on then off. It lit up 10-15 times. Each time going off for at least 10-30 seconds before coming back on.

I did some searches on the forum and only found mentions of the clock spring. It seems though, when the clock spring is bad, the cruise and horn doesn't work. My cruise and horn work great.

Any help is appreciated. thanks!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM
funair02
All Star

Well todays drive it happened twice when I turned the wheel...
Sounds like the clock spring eh?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:04 PM
funair02
All Star

SOLVED

Yes the clock spring was the issue...

Interestingly, the old one has a bunch of grease coming out of it

Old 07-31-2014, 06:30 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the air bag light has been on for 8 years on our 05 300C
dealer replaced clock spring 8 years ago and only stayed off 2 weeks
a nomial fee was also charged

Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by funair02
SOLVED

Yes the clock spring was the issue...

Interestingly, the old one has a bunch of grease coming out of it
Did you change the clock spring yourself or at a garage ???

I only ask since mine is broke and I'm unsure how to get it fixed.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 AM
chuck72

My 2002 Caravan Sport, bought used, developed an air bag light - clock spring problem many years back. I recall it was a very expensive dealer repair. Said repair held until the whatever warranty; 90 days maybe. Air bag light came back. Dealer told me if they fix it again, I have to pay for it again. This is one of many reasons I hate dealer service.

I called Chrysler who didn't care that my driver air bag will not deploy because of the blown clock spring repair so I never had it fixed. It's been near 10 years now with that light.

I found out accidentally 6 months or so ago that working the tilt wheel up and down quickly would make the air bag light turn off for a brief period. I don't do this usually though as I have no wish to accidentally fire off the air bag.

That same dealer went out of business shortly after Obama bailed out Chrysler and the company began closing a certain amount of dealerships. including this particular one. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 AM
stev
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by chuck72
I called Chrysler who didn't care that my driver air bag will not deploy because of the blown clock spring repair so I never had it fixed. It's been near 10 years now with that light.
In various states they do vehicle safety inspections yearly. If the airbag light is on, no tags will be issued for the plates.

I had moved from such a state like that (NY) the new state does not have this, so I can still drive around for now with the light on.

It is crazy no having a horn, cruse or the airbag working. On some vans, the radio control are in the wheel too.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:03 PM
funair02
All Star

HI Stev -

I am really unsure why there is stigma about the clock spring Maybe pre 98 was different...my 02 (the part fits 98-03) took me about 45 minutes replace...and most of that time was screwing around looking for sockets and putting the steering wheel puller together...

Here are the steps that were involved...IIRC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Air-Bag-Airbag-Clock-Spring-Clockspring-Dakota-Pickup-Truck-Durango-SUV-Van-/331262252577?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d20c4d621&vxp=mtr

1. disconnect negative cable. (required)
2. remove the two nuts on the back of the steering wheel holding the airbag in - remove airbag and the two wire harnesses that are attached to i
3. remove the two torx bits on the bottom of the steering wheel shaft cover (near the ignition switch)
4. remove both the top and bottom steering shaft covers
5. remove steering wheel bolt (this takes a lot of torque and if you aren't a stronger person you may we to get a helper to hold the wheel - mine had Loctite on it.
6. Assemble steering wheel puller ( this one works great and is only $13 - http://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-ty...set-69889.html )
pull steering wheel off
7. unhook the other harnesses on the clock spring and then remove the three screws holding the clock spring in...
8. Installation is the reverse...

That's is...actually it is not hard at all!

good luck

Joe

Old 08-03-2014, 04:55 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by funair02
HI Stev -

I am really unsure why there is stigma about the clock spring Maybe pre 98 was different...my 02 (the part fits 98-03) took me about 45 minutes replace...and most of that time was screwing around looking for sockets and putting the steering wheel puller together...

Here are the steps that were involved...IIRC

New Air Bag Airbag Clock Spring Clockspring Dakota Pickup Truck Durango SUV Van

1. disconnect negative cable. (required)
2. remove the two nuts on the back of the steering wheel holding the airbag in - remove airbag and the two wire harnesses that are attached to i
3. remove the two torx bits on the bottom of the steering wheel shaft cover (near the ignition switch)
4. remove both the top and bottom steering shaft covers
5. remove steering wheel bolt (this takes a lot of torque and if you aren't a stronger person you may we to get a helper to hold the wheel - mine had Loctite on it.
6. Assemble steering wheel puller ( this one works great and is only $13 - http://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-ty...set-69889.html )
pull steering wheel off
7. unhook the other harnesses on the clock spring and then remove the three screws holding the clock spring in...
8. Installation is the reverse...

That's is...actually it is not hard at all!

good luck

Joe

Joe, thanks a bunch for the links and prices. If it takes 40mins for you, I plan 60min for me. haha I'm skilled, but things take more time since it's all outside in the summer heat.

Stev

Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 AM
chuck72
Default Thanks for info, Stev

It certainly sounds doable per your steps; especially that the wheel puller is so cheap.

In Maryland, they won't trip me for that light; at least as long as I keep the Van, which I am keeping until the end. State emissions testing does not concern itself with the airbag.

I have mixed opinions about them. I was involved in a broadside (before I had the van) when someone pulled out on me. I steered into their front fender and probably saved the person's life according to the cop. My airbag went off and it knocked me out for 30 seconds maybe. When I came to, my first thought was that my then car (a Honda Accord) was on fire. It was the gunpowder or whatever that fires the bag. It also really hurt my shoulder. I feel the belt would have protected me in that situation and yeah I know the stats regarding the whole lobby that got airbags to exist in vehicles but still I do not like airbags.

Nonetheless, thanks for your instructions which if I ever sell or trade in the van I will use and fix myself considering what I described in this and other posts with dealer service.

Take care and thanks again

Last edited by chuck72; 08-04-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Airbag light in my 02