Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

How Do You Remove Rear Blower Capacitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
jbratch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Remove Rear Blower Capacitor

I need some help. I have a 2000 3500 Ram Van with rear air and I know the capacitor is bad I just can't seem to figure our how to get to it to replace. Help me please. I have the cover for the unit off I can see the capacitor I can unplug the wiring and plug in the new part and it works fine with all speeds blowing.

There are no screws on the outside of the unit so how to I remove it? Help!

Jimmie

Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

There are no capacitors on DC motors, only AC ones. You must be looking at something else.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:46 AM
jbratch

Well let me try another description. The rear fan switch only works on high. In reading the blogs everyone says it the capacitor. So I bought on at the local auto parts store and I found the capacitor on the rear unit. I unplugged it and plugged it into the new part and the fan blows on all speeds. So I assume that it the problem. I can't figure out how to get the part off.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:53 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I think you're talking about the blower speed resistor. Also see the image at the end.

REMOVAL:
Before beginning this procedure, place the rear heater-A/C unit in the heat mode by turning the ignition switch to the On position and placing the temperature control **** on the heater-A/C control in the full hot position.

Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

Remove the cover from the rear heater-A/C unit.

Reach under the front of the rear heater-A/C unit to access and unplug the wire harness connector from the rear blower motor resistor.

Remove the horizontal duct from the rear heater-A/C unit.

Reach through the horizontal duct outlet in the rear heater-A/C unit upper housing with a small hand or use large pliers to access the blower motor resistor.

Push firmly against the inboard side of the blower motor resistor shield toward the outboard side of the vehicle until the resistor unsnaps from the retainer in the lower housing.

Pull the blower motor resistor out of the rear heater-A/C housing through the horizontal duct outlet.

INSTALLATION:
Lower the blower motor resistor into the rear heater-A/C unit upper housing horizontal duct outlet.

Slide the outboard edge of the blower motor resistor mounting flange under the two tabs on the outboard edge of the resistor mounting hole in the lower housing.

Reach under the front of the rear heater-A/C unit to hold the blower motor resistor against the outboard side of the mounting hole with one hand.

Then, use the other hand to reach through the horizontal duct outlet from above and press firmly downward on the inboard side of the resistor shield until the inboard side of the resistor mounting flange snaps under the retainer on the inboard side of the mounting hole in the lower housing.

Reach under the front of the rear heater-A/C unit to access and plug in the wire harness connector to the rear blower motor resistor.

Reinstall the horizontal duct to the rear heater-A/C unit.

Reinstall the cover over the rear heater-A/C unit.

Connect the battery negative cable.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
jbratch

Thanks I got it...

Quick Reply: How Do You Remove Rear Blower Capacitor