Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tune up on an 01 1500 Hi top van

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune up on an 01 1500 Hi top van

I have an 01 1500 black hi top conversion I picked up for 3 grand cash and a grand for the 99 model I was giving them in trade. It currently has the need for a tensioner pulley replacement which I am hoping to manage performing the work myself and the mileage is approx 143k and some change.
My question is about spark plugs and wires, rotor and cap. Are these items something that should last a lifetime of miles or would right about now in mileage not hurt anything to give her some new "juice"?
She is not shy about getting up and going when I have to stomp on it occasionally so I am not concerned about doing it for performance reasons.
Thanks!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

You should probably pull a couple of plugs and see what they look like.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM
funair02
All Star

as for the tensioner replacement, if you are doing the whole tensioner, the only one that has the right pin for the hole on the back is the Napa version...

I change my cap, rotor, wires and plugs every year. There is a reason why the whole tune up kit on rockauto.com is only $40...

Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 AM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Originally Posted by funair02

There is a reason why the whole tune up kit on rockauto.com is only $40...
Meaning? (assuming you mean so it can be done often)
How do you get to 4 out of 8 plugs? I went to tackle said job on my last gal, a 99 and could only do 4 from inside the van. There was absolutely zero way I could get to the others and turns out, it was a good thing I didn't force the issue because they were so badly rusted in, I would have busted at least one off if I hadn't of taken it to a shop to have help with the other 4! I would swear that van must have sat in Katrina waters as badly rusted as she was. I would lie under her waiting for the oil to drain and marvel at how the engine was even still attached to the van!!
Love your red van by the way, second fave color of mine. Got any more photos? Do you really live in her? I look forward to "someday" when I can do the same. I just love sitting in the middle and backseat of mine and looking at the fancing ceiling lighting, etc.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:50 AM
daguvena88
Professional

I'd think there's a middle ground most folks find between changing out plugs/wires/rotor/cap every year and thinking they last a lifetime.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by andthatsalrightwithme
Meaning? (assuming you mean so it can be done often)
How do you get to 4 out of 8 plugs? I went to tackle said job on my last gal, a 99 and could only do 4 from inside the van. There was absolutely zero way I could get to the others and turns out, it was a good thing I didn't force the issue because they were so badly rusted in, I would have busted at least one off if I hadn't of taken it to a shop to have help with the other 4! I would swear that van must have sat in Katrina waters as badly rusted as she was. I would lie under her waiting for the oil to drain and marvel at how the engine was even still attached to the van!!
Love your red van by the way, second fave color of mine. Got any more photos? Do you really live in her? I look forward to "someday" when I can do the same. I just love sitting in the middle and backseat of mine and looking at the fancing ceiling lighting, etc.

Well, I have the 3.9 and am in Florida. So I have never had a problem with the plugs...I have read here a lot of people do have issues with the plugs...but eventually get em out using penetrating fluid and patience...I have had problems with the wires. They cook here in Florida. Underhood temps sometimes are 250+...that will cause significant resistance in plug wires and eventually wears them out. That's why I said consider the price -- they are changed all the time...I do them once a year now.

Thanks for the compliment on the van --- it has been a LABOR of love

I don't live in it...but will do a weekend in it every so often
Here are some pics of the inside

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/funa...?sort=3&page=1

Old 08-03-2014, 08:52 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

funair02
FYI
that link takes you to photobucket but says the photos are private

Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, I replace the cap-n-rotor twice a year on the V8 and did the V6 once a year. For some reason, even with the copper/brass contacts in the cap, they pit and flake due to temps and arcing over time. Oh, I tried various brands too with the same results.

If the cap goes bad, you will notice first MPG will drop slightly. Next the engine isn't running so smooth. The cap is really bad when you try to pass someone and it takes the pedal to the floor to accomplish it.

As for plugs, that's been debated here OFTEN. haha I run the Autolite AP5224 single platinum. Just place a little anti-seize on the threads. Not too much. I had three plugs broken the first time extracting the plugs at 60K. These Champion plugs also broke two easy-out tools doing it. The chrome based plugs LOVE to corrode solid to the threads on our engines. errrr

As for cap-n-rotor, NEVER get the cheap-o aluminum contacts. In less than three weeks the engines codes and missing will occur.

For wires, the OE size is 8mm from the factory. BUT, it's so hard finding that. I have 7.5mm on the engine now from Prestolite. They are holding up well. RockAuto had them for $12 as a perfect fit.

I would highly recommend removing the coil, clean it from grease, grime and oils, then anti-seize all the treads. Clean the contact areas the coil goes to the bracket. Then clean the engine side the bracket mates to the coil bracket. There is a ground strap in that area too as the alternator is there. MAKE sure that ground strap is in good shape with the contacts clean.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:09 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by rsdata
funair02
FYI
whoops!!

Try it again...I have a bunch of misc. van pix all through my album

Old 08-04-2014, 06:11 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Originally Posted by rsdata
funair02
FYI
Not for me. Opened right up, thanx fair!

I never really thought about different areas wanting different maintenance types. Good way to put it.

Quick Reply: Tune up on an 01 1500 Hi top van