Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Towing a van with an RV/motorhome?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:05 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing a van with an RV/motorhome?

Can this be done, towing a van with a 32-42 foot motor home? If so, how would I not be adding mileage to a vehicle that isn't running? Dumb question I know but anywho, LOL! I am wanting to buy a motor home and sightsee/work across the US and I can't stand the thought of giving up my beauty, an 01 black hi top 1500 ram as well as figured it could serve as extra possessions storage or a kind of "spare bedroom" for one of my two sons (no, they would not ride in it while going down the road/in tow).

Old 07-29-2014, 10:45 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a car dolly to load the front of the van onto and strap the front tires down to it. Remove the drive shaft. Look for a harness that you can attach to your van so your motor homes lights system will activate the vans stop/blinker/park lamp system when towed.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 AM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Sorry.....remove the drive shaft??? I need to be able to have easy use access when we are hanging out and working for a couple three months per location.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

If you pull the van with the transmission in neutral you will burn up the transmission. The pump will not turn unless the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral. The owners manual does not recommend towing more than 10 miles with the drive shaft attached.

You may talk to a motor home sales yard about an option of installing a electric trans hydraulic pump in the trans cooler lines to pump the fluid during towing. Requires more wires but when you disconnect the tow hitch and electric connector the van is ready to go.

Only other option is a full length trailer to put the van on to.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM
SteveR
Captain

I think you can get disconnectable driveshafts for this purpose too. You would have to crawl under the van to engage the driveshaft when you needed it.
Steve

Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 AM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Wow. Dang.
Ok. thanks!

Quick Reply: Towing a van with an RV/motorhome?