Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New guy with "wild vents" problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:37 PM
Jason C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with "wild vents" problem

Hello all, Jason here

New guy here with the "wild vents" problem. I spent all of yesterday reading through the various pages pertaining to the wild vents. I also looked, all over, here for posts or pictures specific to wild vents for my particular van or something close. I am so lost. I'm not too good with doing my own work or repairs but I have done some simple fixes. I have no idea where to look for or what to look for pertaining to vacuum lines and/or check valves. From my reading, here, I suspect these need fixing or replacement but I can't locate them. I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Van (3.9l)

I hope someone would be willing to point me in the right direction or have photos or diagrams.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Jason C.

Nothing? :<

Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

What do you mean by wild? I had a 99 and the air would blow on the feet, then on the dash, then out the front and all over again. Not cool while it was 104 outside. Dropped by a garage and they found that some doof had just done a real bang up job arranging the main hose I guess it was so thats why it did that.
And no answers or further replies later can be frustrating but like me, people work for their penny ante wages and aren't on here ALL the time and therefore likely haven't seen your question.
Yes, there are a couple of dozens "views" but someone told me long ago that bots or some such crap drive the views up.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 PM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

And yeah, as vehicles progressed thru the years, the spacing in the engine compartment grew slimmer and smaller for working on them purposes. I swear they did it so someone CAN'T do their on work if they wanted!! But tough ****, I still will and do with my 01. Going out to tackle changing my tensioner pulley now! Wish e luck, LOL

Old 07-31-2014, 11:01 AM
MarkofCain
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jason C.
Hello all, Jason here

New guy here with the "wild vents" problem. I spent all of yesterday reading through the various pages pertaining to the wild vents.
Jason
Probably most folks figured that you've got enough info from reading all of the pages on "wild vents." On the underside of my hood is a diagram from the factory of the basic vacuum system (1996 B2500 5.2). That could be a starting point for you.

I had wild vents and found the culprit to be the tiny vacuum lines coming from the climate control connector under the hood. The connector has a 4 pronged manifold with tiny, hard plastic vacuum lines that run to the passenger side area of the van. (They are about the diameter of a coffee stirring stick).

One thing you could do is drive to a parts store, pop off the dog house and start replacing all of your vacuum hoses one by one. Take one off at a time, observe where it goes and the route to get there and walk it into the store to get a replacement. Replace it and then do the next line. While you might end up replacing some good vacuum lines, most 16 year old vehicles would benefit from this.

BTW, if you're got a kid close by, take 'em along so they can learn too.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Jason C.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I did read everything about wild vents and nothing there is helping me to identify a single hose or valve. I looked and do not have a sticker under the hood or anywhere else that I could find. I wonder if I took a pic or two and posted it...would anyone be able to identify for me?

Didn't know about bots viewing threads, sorry. I saw quite a few views and no response for days, so I finally posted again. I didn't mean to hurry or annoy anyone.

Quick Reply: New guy with "wild vents" problem