Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 dodge B van keeps dying... can anyone shed some light

Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 PM
iodj44
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past two Dodges I've owned and one a friend had would run normal when cold but like sh** after reaching operating temperature.

All three had bad distributors, I realize the frustration throwing parts at a problem with no success. Good luck.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:27 AM
sasquatchmystery
Default My 2000 Dodge van update......

Ok here is an update on this POS van of mine....

still has only 77k miles....

I am still getting code po443
I have replaced the following items,,,,

New Crank Sensor,
New map sensor,
new coil,
new huge ground from the coil to the body and to the battery,
rebuilt computer, ... ya I had it rebuilt.....,
new Purge solenoid,

The van now fires up and runs like crap and stalls, then I re start it and it is fine.... I took it out and flogged it for about 5 miles up and down the highway by my house, couldn't get it to die..... came back down the road to my house and pulled into the driveway and it stalled...... tried to re crank it and it just cranked and cranked.... then tried again and it was misfiring and popping back through the throttlebody and I pumped the fuel peddle to try and make it run again and it acted like it was starved for fuel..... ( as I stated before it has 55 psi... constantly of fuel pressure)

If I let it sit and cool down it fires right up....

before I had the computer rebuilt it would stall and lose spark....
I have not checked to see if it has lost spark again cause I was so pissed after paying to have the computer rebuilt and dumping money into this van again and again and not fixing the problem....

So the last time it stalled I got it to trip the original code again of Po443

So if I already changed the purge solenoid, would it be the vacuum canister, or the cat is clogged?.. I was thinking of cutting the cat off and see if that clears the problem if it was clogged but it doesnt lose power like it would be clogged???? Could it be the o2 sensors?

I ordered a IAC motor and it should be here cause it is the only other thing I could think of that would make the throttle be weird...

Can someone that is a chrysler mechanic possibly help me figure out what is causing this with this van?

Maybe it is because I just spent 600.00 on new tires and did a brake job... and now the van is plotting against me???

Old 10-08-2014, 07:47 AM
daguvena88
Professional

Still get a check engine light? If so, did you recheck what it indicates?

hows the inside of throttle body look? possible plenum issues?

bad IAC is a good bet. otherwise, perhaps bad cam sensor and/or timing, pcv valve, high tension/plug wires?

regarding a clogged cat, is your driveway on a relatively steep grade/incline?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:45 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sasquatchmystery
I was thinking of cutting the cat off and see if that clears the problem
Rather than cut the exhaust, just remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust and take a drive, but leave the O2 sensor connected. The hole for the O2 sensor is big enough where you will feel the difference if it is a clogged cat.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:46 PM
sasquatchmystery

My property is completely flat... so there is no chance of the cat falling over and blocking off the exhaust. The check engine light didn't come on till after it stalled and it only came on for a second..... then it went back off.... I cycled the ignition three timesand it told me the code.... When the IAC gets here I will change it and see what happens.... the throttle body is clean.... I am gonna pull the Mas airflow sensor and clean it just to be safe.....

Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM
sasquatchmystery

Do I pull the upstream or the downstram or both on the o2 sensors?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:53 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The upstream one. The idea is to give the exhaust a place to escape and reduce any backpressure.

Last edited by alloro; 10-08-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 PM
sasquatchmystery

The saga continues..... Installed the IAC motor and now the van doesn't run. no spark again and the output on the odomoter says "No Bus" so apparently the rebuilt computer failed? It ran for 5 miles.... and now nothing...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 dodge B van keeps dying... can anyone shed some light