Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

oil pressure light.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anyone tell me what is involved with changing an oil pump? After 175,000 miles, should that be done as preventative maintanence? '01 model...

Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I outsourced that job

You need to either 1. remove the cross member or 2. unbolt the motor mounts and jack engine up.

Either way you really need a lift or a whole day

Old 08-31-2014, 12:37 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Drain the oil and remove the oil pan. After that remove the 2 bolts holding the oil pump and down it comes.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:12 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Oil pick up tube leading to the oil pump has a mesh screen.

If there is a lot of crud in the oil pan, this screen can get clogged starve the oil pump and cause low pressure.

Stopping the engine can allow these particles to fall off the screen and OP to return to normal for a period until the screen gets clogged again.

This is just a possibility, Use a real OP gauge to verify if the oil pressure is indeed low. Any other path , besides just replacing the OP sender, at this point is simply insanity.

Dropping the pan and changing the pump on a worn engine is no solution, even if a high volume high pressure pump. Dropping the oil pan on these vans is not a piece of cake with the cross member to deal with.

If one is doing so, one might as well have a new pump ready to install, but if the bearings are gone, a new high volume high pressure oil pump will only mask the low pressure for a while. A lot of effort for a temporary masking " solution."

A tach and a mechanical OP sensor are the best things I have added, so far, to my dashboard, a vacuum gauge and a tranny temp gauge are on the wish list.

The Stock OIl pressure gauge is basically useless. There is a 45 second delay before it responds to change in pressure. By the time that idiot light comes on, if indeed low oil pressure, it could be 44 seconds too late.

A mechanical OP gauge responds instantly to changing rpm/oil pressure.

I don't rely on the coolant temp gauge to tell me when the engine is at full temperature, I use the Mechanical oil pressure gauge and my Tach and previous observations of OP at a certain RPM after a long drive.

Newer cars are worse as all the gauges are designed to read normal so that the driver does not get all worried by the larger swings which would happen if they were actually accurate.

I Blame the stupidity and ignorance of Humanity, that things have to be dumbed down to such a level that gauges are designed to look and read normal at all times.

Put a real mechanical OP gauge on the engine, anything else it pointless until you establish actual oil pressure.

Quick Reply: oil pressure light.