Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 2500 Van 5.2 intermittent stalling

Old 08-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Frank74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 2500 Van 5.2 intermittent stalling

I bought a used van recently and it has an intermittent stalling problem that can't seem to be diagnosed, I've had it in the shop for a week. The engine runs good then all of a sudden it will just stall while going down the road with no warning, most times it will restart within 10 minutes but at times is has taken longer. I get the no bus message on the dashboard when it stalls. Here is what I know about it:

- Its had 3 ecms put in in the last 2 years, the mechanic I took it to was able to track a number on the component and contact that company who tells him its been replaced 3 times since 2012 and every time they send it back to the manufacturer they say there is nothing wrong with it. My mechanic wanted to put a 4th one on, but I didn't see the purpose in that so didn't let him since the first 3 didn't fix the problem.

- He replaced the ignition coil and crank sensor

- It doesn't read any codes on a scan

He had this note on the invoice "Emc getting hot & losing communication" but he couldn't tell me why its getting hot or offer a solution, so I took the van back home. He said he checked the fuel system for problems and for bad sensors and relays but didn't give details on exactly what tests he ran.

Spoke to a buddy who had a similar problem on this pickup truck with the same motor and he said replacing the rotor button and pick up coil fixed his truck, so tried that, its still stalling randomly.

I'm at a loss for what else to check, out of money after having it in the shop for a week and unable to work since its my work vehicle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer on this forum, but I will point you to some things to look at...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...e-driving.html

and then this

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...-stalling.html

I hope this helps...

Old 08-21-2014, 01:04 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Has the ASD relay been replaced yet?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:54 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of possibly related information on things to look at here...

http://www.allpar.com/fix/stall.html

Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all the ground straps and verify the battery terminals are clean with tight connections.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 2500 Van 5.2 intermittent stalling