Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New Member with 1994 B350 15 passenger

Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM
dewaynep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with 1994 B350 15 passenger

Hi, I am the proud new owner of a very nice (to me anyway) 1994 B350 15 passenger van. It is in very good shape for A 20 year old van, no rust, etc... The issue I have is that it spent most of its life down south so every rubber component on it is shot. I have already replaced the strut rod bushings (with the NCP poly bushings from NAPA), idler arm, sway bar bushings, etc... I Well, I thought that I should change out the window channel weatherstripping and the window belt weatherstrip. I bought the complete kit from Rock Auto made by Fairchild(I don't usually shop there but the local stores didn't have anything). The window channel weatherstrip worked fine but the belt weatherstrip doesn't fit exactly right. The rearmost clip is too high on the weatherstrip so it won't fully engage the hole in the door and therefore pops out when you roll the window up. If I have to I will rip the clip off and just polyurethane the seals to the door but I wondered if anyone used a brand that actually fit properly? Compared to the factory ones I took out you can see that the rearmost clip needs to be placed lower on the seal.

Sorry for the longwinded post!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:47 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel bad with the aftermarket stuff, for years I've battled the original weather stripping on both the driver and passenger door frames. The engineering is stupid how it was placed and hung. I've done velcro, pop-rivets, office clamp-clips, fuel line fasteners, etc with so-so results. Some vans no issues ever while others are just like mine. Not sure why.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 AM
daguvena88
Professional

I had similar issues with the Fairchild replacement belt weatherstrip. You can try bending the flange inside the door that the weatherstrip clips into. It helped some for me. Ultimately, I used some black RTV to keep it in place. Also used the black RTV in the corners and other areas that the weatherseals didn't adequately seal. I found it easy to glob on and trim as needed with a razor blade after it dries .

Old 09-18-2014, 09:37 AM
dewaynep
Default I should have known...

Yes, I should have known that the aftermarket almost never gets it right. I was able to get the door channel weatherstrip to stay in place by using weatherstrip glue (even though the original had enough body to it that it didn't need to be glued). For the window wipes, I will have to remove the rearmost clip from the seal and glue it in with some windshield adhesive.
I will say this, it's not a difficult job and if your van has rotten weatherstrip and window wipes then it is worth the money to change them and have a nice airtight window again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member with 1994 B350 15 passenger