Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1996 3500 Ram Van Headlight Issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 PM
grumpyone
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 3500 Ram Van Headlight Issues ?

Afternoon friends; I have another ? on the old beast since it is almost as old as me the parts are always NO LONGER AVALIABLE. Dodge s ugly step child is of age now and not claimed any longer.

On a 1996 Dodge Ram Van 3500 . The headlights, I have some questions about them. First they are taking on moisture. The insides are really wet the drivers worse than passengers but both wet inside. Can they be dried out and sealed up and still use them???
Can anyone tell me the years the headlights are the same on this vehicle?? like from 1990 to 2003 or ???? Or maybe other models they interchange with?? I could have an easier time shopping the junk stores if this was known.
And does anyone know where you can buy and aftermarket and maybe the part number for such or whatever info available. We find some on the I net but they come with brackets and are supposedly require to pull the grill and replace the entire parts assbly???
Any info would be appreciated. We do drive the thing at night on occasions.
Thanks Much
Grumpy

Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The era for your headlamp lens assembly is 1994-1/2 to 1997. Not sure if the 1998-2003 were slightly changed.

DO NOT use silicone to seal the lenses. The out gassing over time ruins electrical contacts, thus you will be going through dozens of bulbs.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I simply drill an 1/8" in the bottom so they stay drained. That always seems to solve the moisture problem.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:56 PM
dewaynep

To install new light assemblies isn't all that difficult, my 14 year old was able to do it by himself. I do believe the grill had to come off, but it isn't that hard. Do yourself a favor and buy the new assemblies, you won't believe the difference it will make!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 PM
grumpyone
Amateur
Default Headlight assy instead of just bulb????

OK I don't mind doing the new headlight; question is why do you need to replace the entire mounting bracket and such, cant you just pull the headlight and put it into place in the old bracket??? aren't they the same fitment???? It looks like the bracket comes with the headlight that it mounts too but if there is no issue other than the headlight being bad cant you just swap the headlight???
Thanks
Grumpy

Old 10-17-2014, 11:57 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New headlight assemblies complete with brackets are available for your vehicle. Unscrew the grill and r & r.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10762

Old 10-18-2014, 10:53 AM
grumpyone
Amateur
Default Headlight off assy

Ok I understand the assy for a headlight is available from carparts. Question is do you have to put in the whole assy or can you just pull the levers like on the vehicle and remove the headlight and replace just that, not use the new assy parts?????
Thanks
Grumpy

Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM
dewaynep

Why not use the new bracket if it comes with it? Mine were broken anyway, so I replaced them. I suppose you could try to just install the light assemblies into the old mounts. Maybe they couldn't make them the exact same so they won't fit??

Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 PM
grumpyone
Amateur

thanks that would be my guess but wanted to avoid taking off the grill if I didn't have to, no use disturbing anything on the beast that can come back to haunt me later
grumpy

Old 10-18-2014, 10:38 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grumpyone
thanks that would be my guess but wanted to avoid taking off the grill if I didn't have to, no use disturbing anything on the beast that can come back to haunt me later
grumpy
Unfortunately no, the headlamp bracket and headlight housing are permanently glued together.

Quick Reply: 1996 3500 Ram Van Headlight Issues ?