Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Rear brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:34 PM
arthur1920
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake lines

Kid just asked me to pick up something in my van so of course I noticed rear brake line leaking.

Is there a source for pre bent brake lines for my 79 B200? Or do I buy pre flared lengths, or roll of tube or what?

Also, are the flares in this system just simple double flares (as opposed to single flare or bubble flare)

Do I have enough room using std jack stands to get these in and out?

Also the drums are 10 inch, I see online I need to specify which size wheel cyl I need. Anyone know which size? It's not printed on there and the serial # is illegible, not that that would help. I like to have parts on hand before I take anything apart.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
dewaynep

Whether you buy a roll of tube or lengths depends on whether you have the flaring tool to flare the ends. They should be regular double flares, not bubble. I would think you could easily change the brake lines out using jack stands. Heck, I can fit under my van with it sitting on all four tires and I'm not a small guy. What I do is buy the tube by the roll and flare the ends myself, but I have a great flaring tool that makes it very easy to get a perfect flare every time. The old clam-style flaring tools are a little harder to get a great flare every time, but they do work.
One thing not to do is to use any compression fittings in the braking system. It is very tempting to just cut the line and jam on a compression fitting rather than flare the line. Don't do it, it will fail.
As for the size of the wheel cylinder, I see only 1 option for 10" x 2.5" shoes (NAPA 37235). It should be easy to tell if that is the one you need as the brake line fitting comes straight out of the center of the wheel cylinder. The other styles of wheel cylinder have the line coming out at an angle so you have a different wheel cylinder for the left and the right. If you were thinking of getting the wheel cylinder kit, I wouldn't bother. The wheel cylinder complete is only around $8 so just replace the whole deal.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:38 PM
arthur1920
Amateur

Originally Posted by dewaynep
Whether you buy a roll of tube or lengths depends on whether you have the flaring tool to flare the ends. They should be regular double flares, not bubble. I would think you could easily change the brake lines out using jack stands. Heck, I can fit under my van with it sitting on all four tires and I'm not a small guy. What I do is buy the tube by the roll and flare the ends myself, but I have a great flaring tool that makes it very easy to get a perfect flare every time. The old clam-style flaring tools are a little harder to get a great flare every time, but they do work.
One thing not to do is to use any compression fittings in the braking system. It is very tempting to just cut the line and jam on a compression fitting rather than flare the line. Don't do it, it will fail.
As for the size of the wheel cylinder, I see only 1 option for 10" x 2.5" shoes (NAPA 37235). It should be easy to tell if that is the one you need as the brake line fitting comes straight out of the center of the wheel cylinder. The other styles of wheel cylinder have the line coming out at an angle so you have a different wheel cylinder for the left and the right. If you were thinking of getting the wheel cylinder kit, I wouldn't bother. The wheel cylinder complete is only around $8 so just replace the whole deal.
thanks for the info.
do you by any chance remember the size of the lines?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Napa sells lengths of preflared brakeline with the fittings that you bend yourself. It is kind of kink resistant, but having a radius tool is nice too.

The rubber flexible hose to the Axle is likely due as well, and removing the coupler from the Axle makes attaching the lines easier anyway, so consider doing the flex line at the same time.

Quick Reply: Rear brake lines