Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Why do my lifters "drain down"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:25 AM
mike92B250
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do my lifters "drain down"?

So I've read most of the "lifter noise" threads here and it almost seems as though this problem is "normal" and you should "just live with it".

I've had many vehicles over my 49 years of automobile ownership and never had one with lifter noise except when the oil was low or there was unacceptable wear in the valve train.

My 99 360 ci engine has lifter noise every morning and only has 84K miles on it. I just had the heads rebuilt and the intake manifold "pan" gasket replaced (the previous owner must have driven it a lot and just poured oil through it until he could unload it), fresh oil, new filter, etc....

It "ticked" before and it still "ticks"... not that the work I had done would effect the lifters, but.....

This seems to be a Chrysler engine design problem....

Can anyone explain to me how these hydraulic lifters work?
More specifically, what is supposed to keep the oil in the lifters from draining down overnight?

Any details on how these components function would be helpful.

thanks

Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The lifters are made to let oil in, not out. So if the lifters are collapsing when sitting, then they are either worn or dirty. If they're dirty you can run some engine flush before each oil change to help speed up the clean out process. You can also run synthetic instead of regular oil since it will not create sludge or varnish build up, in fact over time it helps clean it away. The other option is to replace the lifters with new ones.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:33 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of valvetrain noise on startup can be a poor AntiDrainBack valve on the oil filter. The best filters use Silicone ADBV's whic are softer, seal better and do not get hard like the Nitrile ADBV's used in lower end filters.

Also, I once believed somebody i should not have, and put 20w-50 in my engine. The lifters ticked until I drained it back out after 50 miles of persistent ticking

The thick oil crowd will never change their mind, but 20w-50 is obsolete in most applications.

When I first tried synthetic, because it was on special for 1$ more than conventional, at the second start up, there was no 3 to 5 seconds of lifter ticking anymore. I've stuck with synthetic ever since.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 PM
mike92B250

Great! Thanks to you both. I've got just a little over 1,000 miles on my oil and filter so I'm going to change it soon.

Can either of you recommend a cleaner and synthetic oil grade... ie 5w30, 10w30....

Thanks

Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mike92B250
Can either of you recommend a cleaner and synthetic oil grade... ie 5w30, 10w30....
Seafoam
5W-30

Old 01-20-2015, 01:04 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kreen from Kano labs
Mobil 1 M1-301 oversize oil filter with silicone ADBV and thread end bypass
Pennzoil conventional yellow bottle 5w-30 is supposed to be stout on the detergents and high in Moly which is said to make many engines run a tad quieter.

I don't think I'd add kreen to a Synthetic oil, unless price is no object.

I'm not really a fan of adding solvents to the oil. Perhaps right before an oil change, and used at idle only or very light driving, but I'd not add a cleaner for a full oil change interval.

Oils high in ester( group 5) base stocks are very good cleaners.

Redline oils are very high in Esters( and Moly). Whereas most over the counter synthetics are combinations of group 3 Hydrocracked conventional oil, group 4 PAO oils and a smidge of group 5 esters.

If you do add Seafoam/Kreen to the oil at the beginning of an oil change, keep an eye on the level as it will burn off fairly quickly. You want to see the oil turn black when you add a solvent to it.

Marvel Mystery oil is another favorite slow cleaner that has apparently cured many a lifter tick.

Aggressive cleaning via solvents or high detergent oils can clean crud off the interior gasket surfaces and reveal leaks that the crud was keeping at bay

Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
funair02
All Star

the timing chain in the LA series of engines is know to rattle, making a noise just like lifter tick...

also an exhaust leak in our vans sounds just like lifter tick...

I have found to have absolutely no lifter tick, I have to use Mobile 1 5/30 with the Mopar filter...all cheap at WalMart

Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 PM
mike92B250

Great info. Just got my garage heater R&R'd so I now have heat and I'm going to try some of these suggestions.

I'll keep you posted.

thanks again....

Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 AM
mike92B250

Not to get too technical here but how does the oil get in and out of the lifters? Is there a hole in the lifter housing? does it enter through the gap between the cylinder and the "piston"?

thanks for any replies.....

Old 01-25-2015, 02:01 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mike92B250
Not to get too technical here but how does the oil get in and out of the lifters?
There's a hole in the side of the lifter that allows the oil to enter.

Quick Reply: Why do my lifters "drain down"?