Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

What can I pull with a 318 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:17 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ram150ga
I have an 86 Ram 150 with 6,050# gwv. before this I had a '82 150 with a slant six . I crossed the Truck Stops of America scales with the 82 grossing over 10,200 #'s (south of Atlanta, some 25+ yrs ago ) took it to Orlando & used the truck as my work truck till it was totaled 4 yrs later also I have towed a 28" Sea Ray i/o on a steel trailer with the truck when it was stock except for a high performance coil ( a man had burned up the tranny on a 1 ton Ford van pulling it & I hooked on & finished the journey for him . I have also carried over 5,000 #'s in bed . This isn't recommended, but this truck has the torque to do the job .stock torque comes in @ #2,000rpm much lower rpm's than competition. Truck now has 343 c.i. hi performance ignition roller bearing. This truck's rear axle in rated only 400 #'s less than the 1 ton.
Try comparing that 86 Ram 150 to an 86 Ram B150 van. The curb weight of the van negates what the truck can do.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:24 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Dodge Vans
Agree, but I know a lwb 3/4 ton conversion van is a pretty heavy pig.

I just don't think this van can handle a trailer with a car too well. I think

if I were to two a fwd lighter car with a dolly it would suffice.

The Go cart/4 wheeler I know it can because my 4 cylinder minivan did it

(well, it struggled)

Thanks.
The 3/4-ton and 1-ton LWB van also has 16-in rims with load-E tires pumped up to about 80psi for towing. The later 1998-2003 Ram Vans came with the tranny cooler too. These benefits made towing the extra weight better. My current van, 2001 B2500 on the 1-ton frame, is rated to tow 8,800-lbs. With the Road Master Active Suspension Kit, I've towed 5-tons of dead weight highway gravel (6-6-7 crushed stone) for over twenty miles and out from the main floor of the stone quarry.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:57 AM
iodj44
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 Dodge Vans, I read the post through again and have a couple more thoughts. Quite a few members of this forum use their vans for pulling trailers and generally have a few things in common. First most if not all have either factory or aftermarket transmission coolers, proper tires are also important, LT rated tires are recommended the stiffer sidewalls reduce sway and as Stev mentioned E rated are best for very heavy loads. Earlier in the post rear air bags were recommended to ease leveling your van after adding significant tongue weight and dramatically increase control and piece of mind when pulling. Also most owners have installed mechanical gauges to supplement the factory oil pressure, engine temp and alt gauges. Some go further adding trans temp and or tachometers.

Improvements can not increase your GVWR as you are likely aware. Though some owners do not realize operating a motor vehicle in excess of the posted GVWR is unlawful. Should one be involved in a accident and found fully or partially liable there can be no credible defense if the operator exceeded GVWR and was discovered so keep that in mind. (know the risk)

A 1986 318 powered B250 conversion van with 3.21 gears might not have much legal GVWR left as the number was calculated using the weight of a cargo van with only driver weight and half a tank of gas (I believe) before the conversion company received the van. That is why I believe it is important to weigh the van and the van with the trailer just to be safe and aware of your situation.

Last edited by iodj44; 02-04-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:58 PM
2 Dodge Vans
Amateur

Originally Posted by stev
The 3/4-ton and 1-ton LWB van also has 16-in rims with load-E tires pumped up to about 80psi for towing. The later 1998-2003 Ram Vans came with the tranny cooler too. These benefits made towing the extra weight better. My current van, 2001 B2500 on the 1-ton frame, is rated to tow 8,800-lbs. With the Road Master Active Suspension Kit, I've towed 5-tons of dead weight highway gravel (6-6-7 crushed stone) for over twenty miles and out from the main floor of the stone quarry.
I believe my friends is a 2000ish model, it's a 2500, it's equipped with the 318 Magnum, 3.92 gears and once he gets it registered it will replace his V6 model for pulling. I suspect it should have no issues.

The SWB 1500 is a 3.9 V6 Magnum, 3.55s and a 3 speed auto, it's earned it's keep with him but when the trailer is really loaded it's dogged out. He was going to keep using it but the 2500 was a Craigslist score for $1,200 w/90,000 miles and new tires.

I think the V6 he has could outpull my older 318, strangely the engine compartment is quieter than mine despite being a base model.

Last edited by 2 Dodge Vans; 03-19-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:08 PM
2 Dodge Vans
Amateur

Originally Posted by iodj44
2 Dodge Vans, I read the post through again and have a couple more thoughts. Quite a few members of this forum use their vans for pulling trailers and generally have a few things in common. First most if not all have either factory or aftermarket transmission coolers, proper tires are also important, LT rated tires are recommended the stiffer sidewalls reduce sway and as Stev mentioned E rated are best for very heavy loads. Earlier in the post rear air bags were recommended to ease leveling your van after adding significant tongue weight and dramatically increase control and piece of mind when pulling. Also most owners have installed mechanical gauges to supplement the factory oil pressure, engine temp and alt gauges. Some go further adding trans temp and or tachometers.

Improvements can not increase your GVWR as you are likely aware. Though some owners do not realize operating a motor vehicle in excess of the posted GVWR is unlawful. Should one be involved in a accident and found fully or partially liable there can be no credible defense if the operator exceeded GVWR and was discovered so keep that in mind. (know the risk)

A 1986 318 powered B250 conversion van with 3.21 gears might not have much legal GVWR left as the number was calculated using the weight of a cargo van with only driver weight and half a tank of gas (I believe) before the conversion company received the van. That is why I believe it is important to weigh the van and the van with the trailer just to be safe and aware of your situation.
I agree on the weight thing, I'm almost reconsidering another vehicle to pull heavy things. This 318 at 140 horses just IMO doesn't have the power if I were to hit a grade, plus the car trailer I have is home made and really heavy

As far as pulling my kids Hammerhead go cart and my 4 wheeler even my 2.5 4 banger beat to s**t old Caravan can handle that (slowly, but it does it)

Quick Reply: What can I pull with a 318 ?