Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Oil leak-top back of motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:04 PM
8wheels2freedom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak-top back of motor

Hi,

Just posted in the new member portion, but wanted to direct some exact questions here. 1996 3500 van with the 5.9l motor. 153k miles.

Started checking things out last night and found this leak (photo). Where would that be coming from?

Would it be leaking from where the distributor goes into the motor? Or from that sensor to the right? What sensor would that be?

Thanks all!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Could be the seal that runs along under the back of the intake, it could be the distributor O-ring, or it could be that oil pressure sensor shown there. The only way to know for sure is to clean it real good then check it periodically to see where the oil first appears.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:25 PM
8wheels2freedom

Great ill clean it up and check.

Does the intake manifold gasket hold oil back? I though that would just be air flowing through that?

I noticed also that our oil pressure gauge doesn't move. It just sits mid range at one spot no matter what. Maybe the sensor is bad?

Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The airflow is only along the sides of the intake where they mate with the heads. Between the two heads under the intake is a wide open space with oil everywhere. So oil can seep through the seals along the front and rear edges of the intake.

Since the oil pressure gauge isn't working I would go ahead and swap out the sensor while you're there. It can be the source of the leak as well as the gauge problem.

Last edited by alloro; 01-29-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:48 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to me as if the source of the leak is the Oil pressure sender itself, but the way the top of it and the connector are wet with oil and dust.

Make sure to clean the oil out of the connector before reinserting it into the new sender.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:15 AM
8wheels2freedom

Thanks for the suggestions!

Alloro i researched it after you mentioned that gasket and saw theres a bunch of oil there. Thanks alot for the insight!

Im going to look into the oil pressure sender and sensor.

Quick Reply: Oil leak-top back of motor