Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Replaced bad window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM
aguevarra
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced bad window regulator

Recently, my passenger side window had a grinding sound and having a hard time rolling up and down smoothly. I replaced the window motor 3 months ago so I figured that couldn't be the problem. After removing the door panel and plastic sheet underneath, I loosened the door module panel to look for the cause of the grinding sound. I noticed the rubber housing around the cable guide pushed to one side.

I ordered an OEM Mopar passenger side window regulator from Amazon for about $60 with shipping.
Amazon.com: 1999-2003 DODGE RAM VAN PASSENGER RIGHT POWER WINDOW REGULATOR MOPAR OEM QUALITY: Automotive Amazon.com: 1999-2003 DODGE RAM VAN PASSENGER RIGHT POWER WINDOW REGULATOR MOPAR OEM QUALITY: Automotive

Here is a pic of part.

Next, remove the door panel, pull down the plastic sheet, and remove the waterdam.

Lower the window glass to expose the bolts attaching the bracket to the window regulator. Loosen the front and rear bolts just enough to lift the glass up and away.

Lift the glass up and tape to window frame to prevent it from falling down.

Remove and disconnect window motor.

Separate electrical wire harness tabs attached to window module.

Loosen bolt to door handle and remove from window module.

Loosen the top two corner bolts and remove the two bottom bolts holding the door module and lower to remove panel from door.

Here was the problem with the passenger side window regulator.

Here's a comparison of the old and new regulators. Note the broken bottom spring on the old unit along with the ruined rubber housing.

Remove the three bolts connecting the regulator guide to the frame and reverse process to install the new regulator.

Remember to pop in the cable guide clip and to make sure the tabs that accept the window motor are lined up and secure.

Reverse the entire process to reinstall the window regulator panel. Lower the glass to reattach bracket to regulator. Reattach motor, door opener, and reconnect plastic tabs holding electrical cable to panel.

Last edited by aguevarra; 03-12-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up.

I didn't have to remove my belt moulding when I did mine.

I think alloro said, "this was the easiest regulator I have ever done" - I would have to concur with that statement

Old 03-11-2015, 03:02 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Changing a window regulator in these vans has to be the easiest I've ever encountered. Remove that big plate and it's wide open.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:45 PM
aguevarra

I agree. If I didn't any pictures, this would've been a 15-20 minute job. One of the easiest DIY projects on this van.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Tommy555
Professional

Weird that the passenger side went first, in my experience the drivers side gets the most use and that is the one that is usually the problem. I guess someone or you fixed that one already.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

'01 van... have had problem with passenger electrical roll up since I got it 3 years ago... the window slows to a stop and it takes a minute before it will continue it's journey up again, but only another fraction of an inch. Only if left alone for 5 minutes will it act almost normal. If I spray silicone lube in the tracks it is slightly better for awhile. When it is cold almost impossible to roll window up. Always goes down fine.

Should I start with a motor replacement or just do the whole regulator thing?
I have taken off door panel to have a look and everything looks good. The windows motor seemed strong enough when I held it in my hand.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:15 PM
floridacruiser
Rookie
Thumbs up Many Thanks!!!!

Aquevarra: Thank you for the detailed information and pictures. I just ordered a new regulator and motor for my '99 Ram 1500 Van. I now am confident I can do it with no problems.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:43 PM
SteveR
Captain

I have to say I am jealous, the 1991 is not so nice with the no-draft window and less access. We had new guides welded to the edges of the driver side assembly after they wore out.
Steve

Quick Reply: Replaced bad window regulator