Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Spark plug removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 PM
j404ski
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug removal

I'm trying to change the spark plugs on my 3500 Van and can't get the metal sleeves surrounding the plug wires off. Is there a special tool for this as a regular wrench hits the side of the doghouse. I can't grab the wire boot either and don't want to pull on the plug wire.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:26 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

You have to hit them sideways really hard. If the spark plug is still in there it will break. But once they're gone and you vacuum out or with compressed air clean out around the spark plugs, you can them safely remove the wires and plugs.

Another way to get the plugs out first is to use a thinner deep socket that isn't made specifically for spark plugs.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did my plugs and wires a few months ago and had a heck of a time too till I got one of the easier plugwires off then used a needle nose vise grip plier and rocked the sleeve back n forth firmly but not breaking the old plug. The sleeve has a slit down the length of it and can be squeezed if needed to help get it out then pried open again for a snug fit and tapped in after the new plugs are in. Once you get one figured out the rest go easier. I also found the front sets of plugs are easier to get to by pulling the tires and from the wheel well. I didn't find an easy way to save the wires but had a new set there to replace em anyway so I yanked away and only broke 2.
As Alloro said, if you opt to leave the sleeves on make sure to blow out or vacuum debris in the hole before completely getting the old plug out

Old 03-14-2015, 12:17 PM
j404ski
Rookie

Thanks guys I think I'll take it to a shop since my back is bothering me and them tires are heavy. I was wondering how I'd get to the front plugs. Might as well have'm change the coolant while in there.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:28 PM
stev
Record Breaker

My first set of plugs on the B1500 3.9L were frozen in solid. I had to spend $300 for a shop to get them out. Three of the plugs broke and an ez-out had to be used. That ez-out failed after the second plug, thus it took another one to finish the job. Took the guy 3 hours to do the 6-clys. Found out that the plugs were NEVER changed in the 60K miles of use.

With the talk about plugs lasting for nearly 100K, one needs to understand that maybe they will, maybe not. Well, take them out and slap just a smearing of anti-sieze on the plug threads and reinstall them. Years later you will thank yourself for doing this easy job.

As for those metal sleeves, use a flat blade screw driver down the slit to pop them off. Get to the trouble plug to remove, then bend the sleeve back into shape and finally tap the sleeve using a block of wood back into place.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM
j404ski
Rookie

As for those metal sleeves, use a flat blade screw driver down the slit to pop them off. Get to the trouble plug to remove, then bend the sleeve back into shape and finally tap the sleeve using a block of wood back into place.
Really! That sounds easy, I think I'll give it a try. I was also told to spray some penetrant down in there to make it easier to remove the plugs also.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 PM
stev
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by j404ski
Really! That sounds easy, I think I'll give it a try. I was also told to spray some penetrate down in there to make it easier to remove the plugs also.
The best to get the plugs out is Seafoam DEEP CREEP. There is nothing like it. I was for year a PB Blaster and the Liguid Wrench Golden formula. When my son used the DP on a suspension problem after I did soak after soak with my stuff with no results, He hit it with the DP and it all came loose. It's a little pricey, but the savings in time and getting things off easily was well worth it.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 AM
j404ski
Rookie

I'll have to try it. I got one sleeve off and 2 plug wires and the plugs came out easily so the WD-40 worked for me. I hope the next 6 are just as easy.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 PM
j404ski
Rookie

I couldn't get any more of the sleeves off but did get 7 of the 8 plugs out. The #2 PLUG STARTED coming out then got harder and harder even after I sprayed it with lube so I just screwed it back in for now. I didn't want to strip it. The sleeve would not budge even after beating on it. I think I'll put the spark plug socket in the hole and grab the sleeve with a pair of vice grips and then try to rock it or twist it to break it free so I can see whats happening to the plug.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by j404ski
The #2 PLUG STARTED coming out then got harder and harder even after I sprayed it with lube so I just screwed it back in for now.
Warm up (not hot) the engine and try again. The heat will expand the hole and loosen the grip on the spark plug.

Quick Reply: Spark plug removal