Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Why is my van dying

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM
robo35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my van dying

I have been having a problem with my Ram 1500 losing power and or dying at the same place almost every morning in the same place within 5 to 6 miles from when I leave home to go to work and I mean dies like I shut the ignition off, no sputtering, coughing or slowing down it just dies in a heart beat. When it loses power I will put it in neutral and coast to the side of the road where it may or may not still be running, if it is still running I cannot get it to go until I shut off the ignition and restart it, if it dies the same thing I turn the ignition off and the back on at which point it will go all day without a hiccup. This has been going on for about six months during which time I have only had it die once on the way home about 6 miles into the trip home after sitting all day, which is the usual daily routine. I drive about 35 miles to and from work each way. The van is an '03 with a 5.2L. I've had the following replaced: The PCM, ignition switch, ignition module, drive shaft speed sensor, spark plugs and spark plug wires. I've had it into 3 different shops to no avail, although one told me it might be the fuel pump, but that doesn't explain why the same place and only at the same time each morning. I really need to fix this as I have been very fortunate to have a place to pull over when it shuts down. I'm hoping to find enough consensus to not have to drop another 2 grand replacing one part at a time. I love my Ram van.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Replace the crankshaft position sensor.

Quick Reply: Why is my van dying