Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2000 Ram Van 1500 acts like it's running out of gas and fuel gauge stops working

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 04:17 AM
Machair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram Van 1500 acts like it's running out of gas and fuel gauge stops working

Hoping someone can shed some light here. I've got a 2000 van conversion w/ 5.2. Had a no start issue s few months back and changed out the coil, ignition sensor and crank sensor. Seemed to take care of the trouble until this week. Now it starts intermittently misfiring/sputtering like it's running out of gas, the fuel gauge stops working and then it dies. It usually starts back up after a few minutes, but until whatever it is resets itself, I can hear a relay under the driver's side down by the pedals going crazy like it's shorting out. After a few minutes the van starts up, no more relay crackling and the fuel gauge works again... This s is driving me nuts! Any ideas?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like either the fuel pump relay is failing, the connection the pump is corroded, or the fuel pump motor is worn out.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:26 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hearing the relay go nuts is the clue.

When my relays were clicking on my 89 on some starts it was a failing ECM.

But I would start by cleaning the connector at the relay, and at the fuel tank( Dont forget the frame ground)

Also turn the key to on, not start, and lightly wiggle the connectors and their wire bundles at the engine computer, and see if you can get the relays to click on and off.

Caig Deoxit d5 spray does what no other electrical connector cleaner can do, which is dissolve oxidation on the contact surfaces. other cleaners flush out grease and debris only and leave a nice clean oxidized, compromised, contact surface.

Kind of a Mail order only product though if you have a radio shack still open, they might have it

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram Van 1500 acts like it's running out of gas and fuel gauge stops working