Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Positive: Rockauto dot com

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:59 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Positive: Rockauto dot com

Just want to let everyone know my positive experiences in securing parts for my three autos at Rockauto. I have been using Rockauto now for maybe three years. I have purchased many items from them, including a rad, A/C parts, tuneup parts, tailpipes and mufflers and brake parts. They always have an assortment of parts available, in the GOOD, BETTER, BEST range and picture the parts for ease of identification. Sometimes there are install hints and parts listed that may also be needed. I look for the heart next to the part which indicates that part is a best seller, which gives me some confidence I am getting the right part.

If you check back every now and then you will find that sometimes the prices change, sometimes substantially. I bought an A/C compressor for a Toyota once and got it for $X. Saw a buddy awhile later with the need for the same part and when he checked the price was different... higher in his case. So you might want to shop for a couple of weeks and compare the prices... you might get lucky, or then again maybe not.

Two weeks ago I got an email from them telling me about closeout parts for my '01 Van. This was the first of these emails I got from them I think. Anyway, I wanted to do some front brake work including replacing the rotors this summer and I found both pads and rotors at closeout prices in this email. I quickly went online to do some research on competitive pricing from other parts sources and determined I did not want to pass up those closeout prices.

Even with shipping added I saved a bundle and I just got the brakes done and everything was as advertised. I only waited 3 days to get the order with standard shipping.

I try to support local parts stores, as they certainly fill the bill for those parts needed NOW... but if you can plan a repair, you might want to check out Rockauto online if you have not yet done so. Get on their email list and sometimes they send out 5% off coupons.

Roger

Last edited by rsdata; 05-15-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Many of us buy from rockauto, in fact they even published a story of mine in one of their monthly newsletters a few years back. Their prices are good and they ship pretty quick. My only gripe with them is when it comes to shipping charges. They ship from multiple locations so some of your order might come from locations A, B, C, etc. When this happens you have to watch the charges because you will likely pay more for shipping than if everything came from one location.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I have used them for a long time; however, as alloro states, their shipping prices are sometimes outrageous. For example, I was going to buy a couple of trunk struts for my daughters car, they had the best prices, something like $12 a piece, but were going to charge almost $20 to ship them. I got the same ones off ebay and got free shipping.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:11 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have noticed that Rockauto ships from different warehouses and shipping prices can vary depending on where they are warehoused. I just had two heavy front rotors (8 lug) shipped from one location and pads from another. Total shipping was $27.10. Considering that I had checked online at my local parts store (rotors not in stock) and I could have ordered the rotors at over twice the $31/each that I paid at Rockauto and had them shipped to the store for free. Well then I would have had to go down and pick them up instead of having UPS drop them off at my door three days later. So for $89 I got two Bendix rotors delivered Vs $130 plus tax and had to pick them up in a day or two at the local parts house. Either way I had to wait. Just saying that in this case Rockauto, in case some have not used them can be an invaluable resource and might save you some money, PLUS give you some selection of parts unavailable from the local parts houses.

I have ordered off of eBay and Amazon before, and before I buy anything I always check Amazon (their $99/yr Prime membership with free two day shipping is hard to beat). I have had two Sunday deliveries lately via USPS from Amazon just to meet the two day deadline.

All in all, IMHO Rockauto is hard to beat (not always, but often), considering selection, pricing, ship to your door and sometimes install tips and I wanted to share the info with anyone that maybe did not know about Rockauto as a parts source.

To each his own...

Old 05-15-2015, 10:22 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used them once to get rubber pedal covers for a 1934 Hupmobile and they were really nice. It would be nice if they went through the trouble to get all of the bearings and other consumables listed for antiques but it hasn't happened yet.

You can always find a 5% discount code if you go here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/rocka...ount-code.html

I just ordered 400 bucks worth of stuff for my Hupmobile and the van last night and we'll see how it turns out. I am getting parts from 4 different locations but the prices are just too good on certain things to worry about it. The big plus is not having to deal with the parts desk. Around here they do not hire very knowledgeable people so in most cases I know more about my vehicles that the parts guys.

Cheers, Steve

Old 05-17-2015, 04:59 AM
blackvan
All Star

+1

Rockauto is my preferred choice. You should always check Amazon prices too. The Amazon search engine and their "compatibility list" is frequently wrong so I use Rockauto to get the actual part number and search for that. I picked up a new a/c compressor for $100 less by simply waiting and checking prices daily.

Rockauto often has the best price but you may have to work to bundle items so they come from the same shipping location to avoid excess shipping charges. Amazon was cheaper for my transmission parts, Ford disc brake rotors, and the Magnaflow cat for the my van. If you have Prime, you should definitely check Amazon price on heavy items.

That said, in 2009 Rockauto shipped a ( large) gas tank for my Ford '88 Crown Vic for $10.95 (Fedex ground) Your cost will vary depending on how close you are to the 3 shipping locations.

Last edited by blackvan; 06-04-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-03-2015, 10:07 PM
SteveR
Captain

Alright, the last of my parts I "just" ordered back on the 15th have finally turned up. One package was at the house within a couple days, one came last week and some that were on back-order came in today.
What I got was a dog's breakfast of fresh new parts, some stuff they probably bought from a bankrupt warehouse, stuff that has been written on and well handled, CarQuest stuff, and even 1 thing I didn't order.
Some shippers from China are faster but that being said, as a Canadian, I would use them for anything I do not need immediately. The price is right and I can usually pre-order stuff before I dig into the job.
Cheers, Steve
PS I apologize to the dude with the Jimmy that's waiting for a drive axle boot, it ain't coming because I got it!

Old 06-04-2015, 09:17 AM
blackvan
All Star

I have only heard that term used in England so I have to say I find it interesting you use that particular term. I have placed over 50 orders and got precisely what I expected within 10 days. I did have one friend who ordered Toyota 4-runner engine parts and he did have an issue with one part but they immediately corrected it. Hope this was a good experience overall, but if it wasn't, we'd all like to know the specifics.

Thanks for taking the time to post your input.

Originally Posted by SteveR
Alright, the last of my parts I "just" ordered back on the 15th have finally turned up. One package was at the house within a couple days, one came last week and some that were on back-order came in today.
What I got was a dog's breakfast of fresh new parts, some stuff they probably bought from a bankrupt warehouse, stuff that has been written on and well handled, CarQuest stuff, and even 1 thing I didn't order.
Some shippers from China are faster but that being said, as a Canadian, I would use them for anything I do not need immediately. The price is right and I can usually pre-order stuff before I dig into the job.
Cheers, Steve
PS I apologize to the dude with the Jimmy that's waiting for a drive axle boot, it ain't coming because I got it!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

They always have the best prices except when you have to pay shipping on heavy parts. Then i get them locally. They don't have spicer ujoints so the saying "everything you car will ever need" is not true.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:54 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
They don't have spicer ujoints so the saying "everything you car will ever need" is not true.
If your car needs a u-joint they have it, so yes their slogan is true. Expecting them to carry every imaginable manufacturer is quite unreasonable.

Quick Reply: Positive: Rockauto dot com