Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Pre-emptive A500 transmission rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre-emptive A500 transmission rebuild?

Hi guys,
Is there any value in pre-emptively rebuilding the A500 before it goes? My van has 125k miles on it and the transmission is the only thing I worry about when I'm out touring.
The transmission runs fine, I've added a cooler, and changed the fluid twice in the last two years. There were some larger aluminum flakes in it but I'd say it was in reasonable shape.
Rebuild kits are about 100 to 400 and a failure during a trip would cost a pile of money.
Any thoughts?
Cheers, Steve

Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

My philosophy is if it aint broke, dont fix it. If you are doing regular maintenance, there should be no need to rebuild if it's running fine.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:01 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.

ATF+4 with 2 external coolers and seemingly normal operation seems like the transmission is still happy enough.

Just make use of that OD off button in the 28 to 50MPH or higher range when climbing hills or needing to accellerate. The automatic downshift out of overdrive and lock-up seems abusive to this transmission.

I have a magnefine ATF filter on the return line that i am going to remove soon and replace with A deRale 25709 externally mounted filter base. The Magnefine weeps from the seal, and I am sick of it.

I got a Fram XG16 as the filter. This is their top of the line filter and is very well made, not the orange can of death, and its filtering efficiencies are second only to AMSoil filters.

I'm gonna load the can exterior with strong magnets.

I've got about 80K miles on my rebuilt a500

Quick Reply: Pre-emptive A500 transmission rebuild?