Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Strange Shifting Issue - 2002 Ram Van 1500 5.2

Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 PM
OldNick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Shifting Issue - 2002 Ram Van 1500 5.2

My '02 Ram Van 1500 has a strange shifting problem.

When starting from a dead stop, the engine revs a little high before shifting, but it shifts smoothly enough. The van performs normally most of the time, but when approaching a steep uphill grade, it starts to climb normally, then if you accelerate, the engine revs quite a bit before the trans kicks in. As you continue up the hill, it repeats over and over.

If you go up the hill slowly, depressing the accelerator a little at a time, it doesn't behave that way.

It also happens if I punch the accelerator to pass someone on the highway, even if it's flat. It also seems to get worse with a load.

I changed the TPS and the speed sensor in the transmission with no change in behavior.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

-nick

Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like power loss at the torque converter due to a low fluid level or a slipping intermediate band. Have you checked the fluid? Also, how many miles since the bands were adjusted?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:08 AM
OldNick

Originally Posted by alloro
Sounds like power loss at the torque converter due to a low fluid level or a slipping intermediate band. Have you checked the fluid? Also, how many miles since the bands were adjusted?
The fluid looks ok. I don't know when/if the bands were adjusted. I bought it used. I've never had that done. Seems like that's the next logical step.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:02 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

The low/reverse band adjustment is behind the pan, so that would have to come down. The intermediate band however is external and is more likely the cause of the problem you're experiencing. So maybe you can just get that one adjusted to see if it makes a difference before you get too deep into tranny repairs.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:24 PM
OldNick

Originally Posted by alloro
The low/reverse band adjustment is behind the pan, so that would have to come down. The intermediate band however is external and is more likely the cause of the problem you're experiencing. So maybe you can just get that one adjusted to see if it makes a difference before you get too deep into tranny repairs.
Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know the result.

-nick

Old 06-02-2015, 08:12 AM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

subscribed

Old 06-02-2015, 09:31 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here is the band adjustment procedure: