Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine cuts out a few times then dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine cuts out a few times then dies

Hey guys, looks like I'll take a turn to ask for help today, I'm not sure how to narrow this down to fix the problem. No codes or check engine light, driving in a 45-55 mph zone the van cuts out quickly but continues a few times then the engine dies. It turns over strong when trying to restart, no luck except to wait a few minutes then it will start again, I do hear the fuel pump priming as always. Switched a couple relays with the ASD, fuses good and checked pcm harness connections. It restarted in about 10 minutes or so and made to my job for today, then on the way home began to cut out again just as I turned into my neighborhood which was about 10 miles, then died as I backed in. restarted again in a few minutes. It's mighty hot here today!

It's been running like a champ for quite a while now, only thing I notice out of the ordinary is the volts gauge rises slower, usually it would go to about 12v turning the key on then 14+ at startup and recently has dropped slightly since my latest work done listed in the next paragraph. It was running steady just over 14 volts but lately tends to run just under 14v but does rise and fall just slightly between those points.

My latest work on the van was changing the thermostat and temp sensor, had been thinking maybe I didn't plug that 2 wire sensor in the right way? It snapped in but thinking on it later wasn't sure. This simple task turned into more than I had wished for. Busted t-stat bolt, had to get room to re-tap so pulled the A/C and mount to move out of the way, took off the alternator too.

As for tune up work I've done, all was done a little over a year ago, plugs wires, battery, cap n rotor, cleaned iac, all ideas and suggestions for diagnosis are thanks to this forum! Crank sensor and speed sensors on rear diff and tranny and both 02 sensors . Never changed ignition coil, pickup coil or cleaned throttle body yet (been procrastinating on that one) Pretty much the whole front suspension I replaced and had the rear diff rebuilt by a decent guy here in town....and the pcm was replaced back in 2005, I don't recall clearly but some similar issues if memory serves me...

It's a 1999 5.9 3500 cargo van, original owner. If you have any ideas on what I might look at I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks

Jim

Last edited by JFloors; 06-13-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: to clarify request and add info on tune up stuff I had done most recently
Old 06-13-2015, 12:44 AM
sparkzz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd throw in a new ignition coil and see what happens.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:57 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Thanks for the reply Sparkzz, I may just do as you suggest today. It's inexpensive and eliminates that possible cause, so long as I don't get a dud huh? Will check inside the cap and grounds and wiring while at it today too.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:39 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Well I went went ahead with the coil swap, a BWD from O'Reillys. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary wrong with the old one, just weathered and looks like it's been under a vehicle for some years. Also took a look at the dist. cap and rotor and thought they looked a bit more worn than I figured they'd be for just under 10k miles so replaced those too along with the breather element.... Not sure the last time that was replaced either but it sure was loaded up with crap when I pulled it off. Was always pretty good about changing the filter but never thought about the breather getting clogged up.

It started up as usual and did idle a bit smoother so I'll take it for a spin alittle later and see if I get stranded or not

Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through two PCMs and during those times I noticed my voltage fluctuating also.

I have had similar drivability symptoms when the CPS went out and also when I was using a Bosch O2 sensor.

good luck!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

go to napa and get their premium plug wires---'bout $45

Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Well... made it home, took on 25 mile drive with it only twice (about 1/2 halfway) where it cut out but didn't shut down on me. Yesterday took only 7 or so miles before acting up.
Not to rule anything out but I went with the NGK 02 sensors from rock auto when I did those after reading many of the posts here recommending those over the bosch for our Dodges, you may be one of the ones that I'd read recommending that Funair.... not sure? I'm 54 but my memory is more like 84 these days it seems!
As for plugs and plug wires went with autolite copper but did get the Bosch wires routed properly, and cap is brass.
I had the intermittent stall coming to stops problem 3-4 years ago and drove it that way for quite a while before reading about this being a CPS symptom too, so when I had done all this other tuneup stuff to get it back on the road again I had changed it out and no more stalling. It's been running problem free for over a year till recently. This current problem IS similar to that one except that it begins to cut out just before when it stalls then it won't restart again right away, but will after a few minutes.
This rig does have 273k on it but serves me well other than these occasional glitches. I'm comfortable in my old worn out shoes and it's same type of thing with this van, I'd like to keep it running a while longer

Thanks guys for the ideas, much appreciated!

Last edited by JFloors; 06-13-2015 at 11:49 PM. Reason: clarifying symptoms hoping it may help
Old 06-14-2015, 11:07 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

The cutting out problem is with your new crank sensor.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:02 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Thanks for the verification Alloro, Looks like I'll be ordering another pc127 from rockauto today unless someone has a better suggestion on a CPS part manufacturer.
I read here often and appreciate the input and your help guys!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:59 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JFloors
Thanks for the verification Alloro, Looks like I'll be ordering another pc127 from rockauto today unless someone has a better suggestion
Unless you're also ordering a bunch of other things I would get one local from a place like Autozone. That way if you have an issue you can just go there and swap it out under their lifetime warranty program.

Quick Reply: Engine cuts out a few times then dies