Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tranny slipping-added fluid-now won't start

Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by toddbowie
If I need to drain some back out do I just loosen the pan?
That's one way, but it can be messy. The absolute easiest and cleanest way is to suck it back out of the filler tube.

These work pretty good for such a task:
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

Old 06-23-2015, 08:05 PM
toddbowie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After about 1/2 hour of messing with it...how the heck do I disconnect the plug from the Neutral Safety Switch??? I figure you push, pull on some kind of clip that locks it on but it seems to be in the back where I can't see it.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:54 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a tab on the underside of the connector that you push in with your finger or screwdriver (not too hard) then grab the outer shell of the connector and jiggle pull. Should come out fairly easy.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:26 PM
toddbowie
Amateur

Thanks, got it.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Glad to hear that! Hopefully it'll be up and running again. how did the fluid draining go?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 PM
toddbowie
Amateur

Haven't gotten quite that far yet. By the time I determined the neutral safety switch was bad it was getting dark and the skeeters were eating me up so will get a new switch and pump some fluid out tomorrow. Hopefully I can at least get it started. Then I'll try to figure out the tranny problem.
Thanks

Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 AM
JFloors
Veteran

Sounds like a good plan, don't them skeeters just bug ya?
Wish you success

Old 06-24-2015, 08:31 PM
toddbowie
Amateur

OK, well Autozone sold me the wrong neutral safety switch so just to test I bypassed it and still nothing. I started thinking.."maybe I did put the tranny fluid in the oil" so I checked the oil and it was way over full. Maybe that is why it won't crank so I thought about draining a quart out but decided I'd better not crank it as right now the tranny fluid (if that's what I did) is still in the pan and not up in the engine. Any ideas what is the best way to flush it out? do I just flush it with some fresh oil or is there some product I should use? Just figure it is better safe than sorry.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:22 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Originally Posted by toddbowie
OK, well Autozone sold me the wrong neutral safety switch so just to test I bypassed it and still nothing. I started thinking.."maybe I did put the tranny fluid in the oil" so I checked the oil and it was way over full. Maybe that is why it won't crank so I thought about draining a quart out but decided I'd better not crank it as right now the tranny fluid (if that's what I did) is still in the pan and not up in the engine. Any ideas what is the best way to flush it out? do I just flush it with some fresh oil or is there some product I should use? Just figure it is better safe than sorry.
Todd, draining the oil back to the correct level is a good idea so do that, the engine oil pan does have a plug but may get messy trying to drain a quart and trying to get the plug back in place so be prepared.
But this likely won't get the engine to crank over if it's already not cranking over, something is preventing power to the starter. have you tried putting the shifter in neutral to start it?
That issue is best suited for one of the experts here like alloro. So far as I now it won't hurt to temporarily run it if there's a little atf mixed in with the oil but would be good to do an oil and filter change once running and no start is resolved. I'd unscrew your NSS an take to the parts counter to make sure you are getting the correct one. Get it back together and go from there

Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 PM
toddbowie
Amateur

That's kind of the plan. As far as the oil, I was just planning on draining it all out and refilling it with fresh oil now that I know a little ATF residue won't hurt anything. I put in the new NSS tomorrow and hope for the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny slipping-added fluid-now won't start